We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
reviews: 147
Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

This was our first extended trip without our girls in twenty years so it was a different type of holiday. We were ale to have alittle bit more luxury and eat in restaurants that may not have suited our girls Having used TP to help me plan my trip I wanted to share with you my time in Germany. We just got back last night so had a week of mxed weather. However this did not spoil out trip one iota.I will do or have done seperate TP reviews on the various places we visited. We flew into Munich airport Fri 26th Oct to Nov 2nd .Wevwere able to navigate the tube network easily we brought 4 days of tickets including our return journeys to the airport and a return trip to Dachau for the princely sum of 64euro total for both of us. The man at the info kiosk gave us the best options and that was perfect. Travel into Munich was very easy S1 or Ś8 line. We stayed at the sofiotel Bayerpost which was great location and very good. Spent three nights in Munich and took a variety of sights and experiences including The Big Hat tour of the Third Reich, Dachau, which we did ourselves by train & used the audio guides, We dined at Le Meriden n Friday experience, 16 tapa courses excellent, but you need to book. Did the gokinspeil and were lucky enough to have a window view from Reichard restaurant where we had alovely breakfast at afraction of the price of the hotel breakfast. After 3 nights in Munich we picked up ahire car at Munich airport & drove to Rotherberg ob der Tauber. A very easy drive along the autobahn stopping en route for coffee at a very nice coffee place. drive took about 2.5 hours at a leisurely speed. Stayed atblovely hotel Hermischloss proabably spelt wrong in Rothenberg Did the nightwatchman tour. Not to be missed. Spent 2 nights there which again was a perfect lenght of time and did all the recommended things to do as well as expereinceing lovely food and wine. From there we drove to Fussen for our last two nights. The Romantic Road is a series of villages which you can drive through. You can also go the motorway. We left Rothenberg around 10.30 and got to Fussen at 3.30 having had time to stop for coffee, lunch and amble around a few villages on route. Did miss the last bit if it as I navigated wrongly but caught up with that on our return. Stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Somme and visited the castles on Thursday. Although one of the castles is under scalfolding it really did not detract from the experience. We did the tour inside the N castle which was really interesting. Views were great as the weather although cold was a clear sunny day. Again had excellent food and wine throughtout our time in Fussen. Fussen is lovely and the lake there in my opinion was nicer than Lake Louise Canada. In conclusion we had afab holiday, we would not have changed any of it, timings in each place were perfect , having the car was nice but you can do most by train if you so wish. Hotels, restaurants etc were excellent and through time I will try & post reviews in all of these. Hope this helps others plan!!

San Francisco...
reviews: 11
11. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

Thank you so much for sharing. We are in a process of planning our Germany vacation next year and your post was very helpful. Disregard the negativity!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
12. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

newstarr, if you are considering going to Berchtesgaden.... please do!

We went on a day trip from Salzburg and loved it. The Konigsee is gorgeous, beautiful walk at the upper lake from Konigsee, and the Jennerbahn is so close, all easy access. The mountains will round off a lovely trip for you, after doing the romantic road.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
13. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

Thanks for the info.

We will be driving from Rothenberg to Munich to Fussen next spring. I appreciate that you listed your travel times as I was afraid that Viamichellin may have majorly underestimated drive times, however your times appear to be close to theirs.

How long did it take to drive between Fussen & Munich?

Kirkcaldy, United...
reviews: 98
14. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

Thanks for your excellent post. My wife and I are going to do this trip in April next year, and will probably copy most of what you did.

Don't worry about your paragraphing, post was great.

thanks, Alan

Perth, Australia
reviews: 8
15. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

Thankyou for your post very informative as we are travelling to Munich in 2 weeks and after reading your trip am even more excited. glad to see the driving was easy.

16. Re: Trip Report 7 nights in Munich & Romantic Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 04, 2013