We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia
reviews: 1
Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

In May we will be getting up and driving from Rothenburg to Munich along the Romantic Road (early risers). What are the must sees along the way and should we do the Romantic Road until Landsberg and then get off to Munich? I want to stay downtown Munich so we can do a Beer Hall and see sights. We will be in Munich a short time the following day. Thoughts? Unfortunately this is our time allotment so any suggestions would be so appreciated it.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
1. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

I'd drive RR as far as Augsburg,calling at Dinkelsbul and Noerdlingen, but then head along autobahn to Munich.

Nova Scotia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

Thanks again Ethelman2. Your answers are direct. I like it!

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
3. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

I definitely agree about Dinklesbuhl. It is a neat little town.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
4. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

If you take #1's advise, then visit Kaisheim which is just north of Donauwörth. The former monastery there has been converted into a prison. It's church is quite nice, but the most interesting thing is to visit the museum and Kaisersaal on the other side of the building. You go upstairs to the second floor where there is a museum that has a little about the monastery and much more about past and present prison life. While you're in the lovely Kaisersaal where special events are staged, look out the windows and you'll be able to see the interior of the prison which otherwise is obscured by the high razor-wire topped walls. Just behind the wall of this room are prison cells. Of course, besides the former monastery buildings you'll be able to see the new prison ones. But the former monastery buildings themselves are well-kept and freshly painted. You'll never see a more attractive prison in your life, and it's a pleasant blend of the past and present, a nice contrast. Just something very interesting and fascinating to visit.

Personally, after Rothenburg I would just skip both of the other walled towns, Dinkelsbühl and Nördlingen. The medieval castle at Harburg will be a change of pace. And if you drive some of the smaller roads through the countryside you'll be the only ones at some great monasteries and churches, and excellent way to see how pleasant and how much more enjoyable are places that aren't visited by tourists.

Cold Bay, Alaska
reviews: 302
5. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

Since you say you're limited on time, IMO Dinkelsbuehl and Noerdlingen should be treated as substitutes for Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, not in-addition to's.

6. Re: Rothenburg to Munich - Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, June 08, 2013