We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Pfronten or Reutte to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Which Fussen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 7
Bus to Pfronten or Reutte to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

How is the scenery on the Ausserfernbahn from Pfronten to Reutte? The reason I am asking is that I am considering whether to take a bus from Fuessen to Reutte, and subsequently Ausserfernbahn railway from Reutte to GP; or take a bus from Fuessen to Pfronten and then the railway from Pfronten to GP.

The bus from Fussen to Pfronten is covered by Bayern ticket, but the bus to Reutte isn't. However, since the fare is minor, this is not really a consideration.

Which route (Pfronten or Reutte) do you prefer?

TQ

TQ

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 100
1. Re: Bus to Pfronten or Reutte to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I've taken the route from Fuessen to Reutte by bus and then train to Garmisch twice, in summer and in winter. Both times the scenery was simply stunning. One of my companions said it was a high point of his trip. I haven't taken the other route so can't compare.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Bus to Pfronten or Reutte to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Appreciate your review on the Fuessen - Reutte - GP route. I hope the view on the Ausserfern Railway is as good as that of the Golden Line Pass, which I did early this year. There is not much information on the net on the Fuessen - Pfronten - GP route, so maybe it is time to concentrate on Reutte's bus option.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
3. Re: Bus to Pfronten or Reutte to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

From Pfronten to Reutte the rail line follows a wide valley with high mountains on the southern side. After Reutte the mountains get higher on both sides and the rail line climbs up to a pass towards Lermoos, then down along a deep gorge towards Garmisch.