We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Which Fussen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Hi All,

Three of us are planning to travel from Munich to Fussen by car in January (19th hopefully). Please let me know whether it will be safe to drive during this time of the year (it is our first time in Germany).

We pan to spend the weekend there visiting the Neuschwanstein castle, Linderhof castle etc... and thought of taking the romantic road.... We really want to see these places during this trip... so please give positive comments :)

Appreciate any suggestions as well....

thanks.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
1. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Welcome. I think it will be safe, provided you have winter tyres, but I'm not sure you'll have a particularly good time. Certainly many towns along the RR will be largely closed, owners of businesses off on their holidays in the sun.

USA
reviews: 32
2. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Driving is easy and safe. There's always the possibility of some sort of storm, but they are generally good about clearing the roads quickly. Do check on winter opening times--and some sights might be closed altogether. So just do some online research to be sure about what is open and when.

Our favorite Romantic Road town is Dinkelbuehl--it's a real town unlike Rothenburg.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
3. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

You will find those here who tell you not to go to Rothenburg and those who swear by it.

Do your research and make your own mind up.

But in January, I'd give the whole Romantic Road a miss. I've done it myself, and struggled to find anywhere open to eat.

Fuessen is also a bit dead at this time of year, but better than the RR in my experience

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 100
4. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Instead of the Romantic Road, you could try seeing the Alps. Garmisch and Mittenwald are easily reached from Munich by either train or driving.

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your comments. From what you have said, taking the romantic road does seem like not a very good idea....

What we actually want is to see the Alps and visit Neuschwanstein castle, Linderhof castle.... I figured Romantic road takes you there... Are there any other roads to get to these castles?

Thanks again for your help...

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
6. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

From Munich you wouldn't take RR. Please bear in mind that RR is just a marketing ploy, really. It's just a normal road- or rather series of roads that link pretty towns.

For your purposes, I'd go out of Munich south by autobahn towards Garmisch, maybe on to Mittenwald, then across via Linderhof from Garmisch to Reutte and then into Fuesssen for N'stein and then come directly back into Munich.

Porto, Portugal
reviews: 69
7. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

I'm planning to make a similar trip (Frankfurt- Fussen) in the same weekend. I am also a bit concerned about the weather. I won't take the RR. I just want to get to Fussen and explore a bit of the surroundings by car. I never drove in snow or ice so it's going to be one uneventful first experience, I hope.

USA
reviews: 32
8. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

Some years ago we drove from Munich to Oberammergau, then stopped at Linderhof Palace, then through northern Austria along the Plansee (we stopped for lunch at the western end of the Plansee) through Reutte and then back up into Bavaria to Hohenschwangau where Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles are located.

We saw Neuschwanstein that afternoon and Hohenschwangau the next morning (we had reserved our tour tickets online). It was a very easy, interesting, and scenic drive. And we enjoyed our 2-night stay in Hohenschwangau village. Our trip, however, was not in winter.

9. Re: Self-drive from Munich to Fussen in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2014