We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

Which Fussen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 26
is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

Hi all.

I plan to cover the following destinations on a single day using a bayern ticket

0951 hrs - train from munich to fussen

1151 hrs - arrive fussen and neuschwanstein castle (outside view from mary bridge and other place for photography experience only)

1330 hrs - return to fussen

1400 hrs - take bus to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

1559 hrs - arrive Garmich

2004 hrs - take train to munich

2127 hrs - arrive munich

Do you guys think its realistic to do the above plan?? i dnt really want to visit the castle from inside. just want to see it from outside and then go to garmich partenkirchen to spend some hours there. idea is just to see another beautiful town in the very limited time which i have. i need to return back to munich the same day due to time contraint.

i plan to take a bayern ticket. would this ticket allow me to make all these journeys possible?

any feedback would be highly appreciated

regards

saurabh

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
reviews: 17
11. Re: is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

Hi,

I agree you should consider staying in the area, Fuessen or Hohenschwangau, for 1 night. Fuessen is a charming old town. If that's not possible, you can probably tour the castle depending on how busy it is the day you're there (usually always crowds). Of the 2 castle's, Hohenschwangau is probably not nearly as crowded or has as long a wait as Neuschwanstein. At least not the 2 times we've been there. I really enjoyed the Hohenschwangau tour.

Yes, you can stil go to mary's Bridge and see the outside of both castles without buying a ticket. I'd suggest taking the bus up to Mary's Bridge. It lets you off pretty much right next to it. Saves you the walking uphill (steep) with a child. Quicker too.

Paul

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
12. Re: is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

Using the 09:51 train you're at 12:13 in Hohenschwangau.

With the 08:51 at 11:13. For this connection you would have to buy normal tickets till Geltendorf (the first stop past 9am) and use the Bayern Ticket from there on. You can stay seated in Geltendorf.

> With this kind of time constraint, can we finish both castles (cover interior) in about 3 to 4 hrs?

Generally yes - but it is unpredictable if you won't reserve tickets how many of the next tours are already sold out when you arrive at the Hohenschwangau ticket center.

> If only 1 castle is possible, which one is recommended to tour the interior?

Hohenschwangau Castle is more authentic. Neuschwanstein are the the fantasies of King Ludwig II. It may be easier to get on one of the next tours through Hohenschwangau.

> If we are not going into Neuschwanstein, can we still go to the Mary's brige or outside of the castle?

Yes. Also into the first courtyards.

> We have a <3 years old kid with us. Does he need to pay for the horse carriage / coach?

Don't know. Rather not - but couldn't find any information addressing this topic.

You may find this trip report of interest for you

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

map Hohenschwangau

hohenschwangau.de/typo3temp/…7c854f90f0.jpg

You see 2 public bus stops close to each other. From the name this is the same bus stop, but as you want to travel into the opposite direction back you have to go to the other side of the road (plus a few meters). You will arrive at the one closer to the Alpenstuben and depart from the one closer to parking P1.

Edited: 10:15 pm, January 10, 2012
London, United...
reviews: 26
13. Re: is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

Thanks a lot for that piece of info. was really helpful.

Any idea what would be approx fare between Munich & Geltendorf . i tried looking up on Bahn.de but it says fasre not available for this journey. Was just curious to know as i plan to visit the castles frm Munich using the Bayern ticket. However plan to take 0851 train in order to make most of my day.

14. Re: is it possible to cover it all in 1 day??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 07, 2013