We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Which Passau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 7
Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

After a Passau-Vienna-Passau boat/bike trip at the end of September, my husband and I plan to head to Luxembourg to visit our son. We've looked at planes, trains and automobiles, and are leaning towards renting a car and making a road trip. Seems as though we can save considerable money by dropping the car off in Germany (Trier) rather than taking it into Luxembourg, or even France (our destination after Lux).... So, given that we'll have about 2.5-3 days, we'd love some suggestions for an enjoyable drive northwest from Passau to Luxembourg. Even open to a stop in Salzburg.... but we'd love to hear what some of you would suggest as highlights, lovely roads, etc. Just loose suggestions--I'm open to researching the details once I get pointed in the right direction. We are open to meander, as long as we don't get too far afield! I can also post this question on some other forums along the route, if you can suggest certain ones. Thanks so much.

10 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 64
1. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Try putting the details into www.viamichelin.com and criteria box sightseeing . Maybe that will come up with something that appeals. For the last section I would recommend goilg along the Rhein north of Mainz to Koblenz and then along the Mosel to Trier.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 34
2. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Although I like www.viamichelin.com , I extremely dislike its sightseeing option. Once I put in a trip which omitted a major attraction a few meters off the route, but had a very questionable attraction that I think almost no one would want to see which was an actual detour of several kilometers.

Basically you could take months doing this trip with lots of interesting excellent places to visit without having to detour extensively. You could spend almost all your time on bongoblog's suggestion of the middle Rhine and Mosel Rivers, but perhaps take the quickest route there and then perhaps stop in a few places along the way that interests YOU, there will be plenty of them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 34
3. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

I'll mention one other thing. As you are driving along the autobahn, you should see brown signs with tourist attractions on them. Almost all of these will be excellent to visit, but it seems that for the ones that I am most familiar with, they rotate the signs replacing some places with other places of interest.

Seattle
4. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I am hoping to NOT drive on the autobahn, unless to bypass a big city. We really are hoping to stay on smaller roads. ViaMichelin's sightseeing route has us going up north of Regensberg, via Nuremberg, Heidelberg, Mannheim and into Trier. I can see how we could go further north of Mainz to the Rhein and Mosel routes. Another option could be to stay south as we head west and then come up through Colmar and/or Strasbourg. Just not sure how the more southerly route compares to the Nuremberg route scenically. Some years ago we did a drive from Landau in the Rheinpfalz down through Horb and Titisee, til crossing into Switzerland on our way to Lyon. We loved discovering these little towns and the winding roads. We do have a few days... Fun planning! Mostly want to make sure we don't end up on roads going through industrial non-interesting areas...

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

You could go north on the Romantic raod from Augsburg to Tauberbischofsheim ,then through the Odenwald, take the autobahn past Frankfurt to Mainz and then head up the Rhein.

Seattle
6. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Bongoblog,

How would you go from Tauberbischofscheim to the autobahn outside of Frankfurt? Where would you pick up the autobahn? This route has some appeal. I know it tends to be touristy, but it will be autumn, and hey--we're tourists! Good to know there will be services along the road that we may need and want. We once headed to Rothenberg ob der Tauber, but ended up in Schwabish Hall instead (loved it!), so my husband, who's grandmother was a Rotenberg, can at least see what may be his "roots"! Thanks!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

Well you can park by the walls in RodT and have a walk around, you might be lucky and it is not overun by busloads of tourists, if it is you can make a quick escape ;-)

From Tauberbischofshein I would head to Buchen and on the small roads through the Odenwald to somewhere near Darmstadt, from there autobahn to beyond Mainz.

If timing works there is a nice little hotel in a village outside Buchen,truly quiet and peacefull. Not sure if the link will work but it is the Lowen Landhotel,Buchen-Hettigenbeuern

http://www.hrs.de/web3/searchWeb1000.do;jsessionid=89A4516B66E2B0243021BD73C23588F1.44-1?activity=showHotellistWithPromotion&showOverlay=true#layer

Seattle
8. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

I think that could be perfect! Thanks so much. It is so great once the trip starts to gel, and you can then do more detailed research to bring it all together. Feel like I'm just at the start of this fun planning stage, now that I have a tentative road itinerary. Vielen dank! (did I say that right?)

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

yeah,but I'm British ;-)

Have fun planning and an even better trip

Charleston, South...
reviews: 5
10. Re: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas

My husband and I are going to be driving from Salzburg to Prague in mid Sept over 2 days. Were thinking about leisurely driving to Cesky Krumlov, stay the night and on to Prague the next day arriving late aft to early evening. We are hoping to enjoy the small villages along the way and sample local beer and food Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions for travel between Salzburg and Prague?

Thx Karen

Reply to: Passau to Trier: Road Trip Ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Passau