We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

Would appreciate advice on best way to get from Nuremberg to Prague in June. My wife and I would like to take train, but are not familiar with train service in this portion of Europe. Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

Best way is the DB IC Bus. There are no direct trains and the buses are also faster on this route.

bahn.com/i/…ic-bus-prague.shtml

Bucks
reviews: 2
2. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

You can buy Prague-Nuremberg train tickets from €19 at the Czech Railways website www.cd.cz/eshop and print them out.

There are several daily train services with one easy change at a place called Schwandorf.

Many people, myself included, prefer taking a train to a cramped motorway bus, even if (in this case) it does take a bit longer.

Edited: 6:14 am, May 15, 2014
Brisbane
reviews: 49
3. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

We caught the bus from Nurnberg to Prague late last year; took around 3 hrs, a very pleasant trip and quite comfortable. We could buy snacks and beers on board, and the scenery was great. Don't be alarmed when you get to the bus station at the Prague end - you're let out at the "historic" old station, which is fairly horrible - but the station itself is downstairs and has all the requisite shops/coffee bars etc.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
4. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

"Don't be alarmed when you get to the bus station at the Prague end - you're let out at the "historic" old station, which is fairly horrible - but the station itself is downstairs and has all the requisite shops/coffee bars etc."

The old train station in Prague is a trip, isn't it? It's like the train station that time forgot. It is absolutely beautiful, just decaying right before your eyes. When we arrived, we went inside and were simultaneously enchanted and confused. "This place is incredible...and run down...look at the incredible detail in the ceiling...this place is deserted though, you can practically see the ghosts walking around...this is the main train station for a major European city?" Then we found the escalator going down and entered the modern train station which has EVERYTHING you would expect in a major train station.

I hope that the historic train station will be restored - it could be really wonderful.

Calgary
reviews: 2
5. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

Re: Best way to get from Nuremburg to Prague:

We are 2 people looking for other people to share a taxi ride from Nuremburg Viking cruise dock to Prague on October 8, 2014 Taxi ride is quick and easier than bus and takes you to your hotel. Cost goes down when shared.

Loudon, Tennessee
reviews: 6
6. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

Do you know the cost of a taxi from the Viking dock in Nuremberg to Prague? Are there taxis waiting at the dock or must arrangements be made in advance? We're doing the same trip on Viking and plan to spend a few days in Prague after the cruise but are going about a month before your trip.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

> Are there taxis waiting at the dock or must arrangements be made in advance?

If the arrival times are known most likely yes.

And if there is one taxi and more customers the taxi driver is of course always in contact with the Nuremberg taxi dispatch center and they will sent more taxis.

But I doubt that any one of them will drive you to Prague. That's for the taxi driver a 7-8 hours trip (return). Such a transfer has to prearranged. In my view the potential time savings compared to taxi + bus + taxi (or completely by public transport) is rather small and not worth the considerably higher price of such a transfer service.

Nuremberg, Germany
8. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

If there is no taxi available you can call one at 0911-19410. The regular price for the approx. 300 km to Prague will be close to Euro 500.- by taxi. As abalada stated, hardly worth the potential time saving.

Saint Louis...
9. Re: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?

To: John H - Calgary

Just came upon your post - We will also be going from the Nuremberg dock to Prague on Oct 8 at the conclusion of our river cruise on Avalon Waterways. We definitely would be interested in sharing a private car with another couple.

I have been looking at these companies: http://www.prag-guide.cz/index.php?id=623 and http://praguetransport.com/. The latter appears to have some good reviews on Trip Advisor, but I'm open to other options.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, you can contact me directly at glassrm@sbcglobal.net

Edited: 3:20 pm, July 25, 2014
Reply to: Best way to get to Prague from Nuremberg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted