We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 72
Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

My girlfriend and I are going to Munich for a week in February. Was thinking of going to Nuremberg as a nice day trip. We would probably spend the night if there was enough to do and people suggest that it's different from Munich?

Or is there another place that people think is nearby and better than Nuremberg?

Thanks in advance

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
1. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Nuremberg (Nürnberg) is great and I definitely think it is good enough and different enough from Munich to warrant an overnight trip. The old center of town has more of a medieval flavor.

We like Regensburg even more than Nuremberg and it is closer to Munich. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its medieval buildings. Again, it is an overnighter or more to my taste. It has a cathedral and stone bridge built about 1140 AD. There are a few Roman ruins. Several ancient churches. Best of all for me is just walking the city through its many plazas and alleyways.

Our pictures from the winter of 2010:

…smugmug.com/Advent-2010/…15028020_t5NQGm

Wikipedia does a good job on Regensburg:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg

Regards, Gary

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
2. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

If you enjoy beer, Bamberg would be my choice. There are several breweries in town and they are famous for the Rauchbier, which is a smoked lager for which they smoke the hops with beechwood before adding it to the beer. The town is also quite interesting - many half-timbered buildings that are actually old (rather than rebuilt) since the town didn't see much bombing during WWII. The townhall is an iconic building, which spans the river that runs through town. There is plenty to see to warrant an overnight.

I like Nuremburg as well and think it would be a great choice too. The castle there is quite interesting. The old town is quite large and a combo of new buildings, rebuilt buildings, and some that are actually old. Of course if you are interested in WWII history, they have the parade grounds, etc.

Inverness
reviews: 30
3. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

We were there in August last year and spent a day in Nuremberg and could quite easily have stayed overnight and spent another day there.

Lots of interesting buildings, great tram system and if you are into your German wartime history there is the Nazi documentation centre which we could have spent all day at

museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/ it sounds boring but to be honest was one of the most interesting places I have ever visited. We were there on a Sunday and Nuremberg was quite quiet, I would have liked to have been there during the week. Its a very pretty city and well worth visiting

Washington DC...
reviews: 72
4. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback.

USA
reviews: 32
5. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Bamberg is wonderful--our favorite small city in Germany. It has lots of historic sites (it's a UNESCO World Heritage City) and its old town is very scenic. It is the center of the beer universe--one of its nicknames is "the town of pregnant men" given the large per capita consumption of the many fine local beers.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 136
6. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Spent a week in Nuremberg last summer and there was more than enough to do. Do not recommend going on a Sunday, however, as it is very quiet and many places closed.

USA
reviews: 32
7. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

Yes, Sundays are truly a day of rest pretty much everywhere except the bigger cities. You can always find something to do in the really big places and those that are popular with tourists like Berlin, or Munich, or Hamburg--but even they will have a lot of places closed.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 30
8. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

I would also recommend Rothenberg, which is not that far from Nuremberg & Bamberg. Just beautiful. If you happen to stay there overnight, I can recommend Haus Karin which is a 5 minutes easy walk outside the town walls & also don't miss the Nightwatchmans Tour. Very interesting & funny.

9. Re: Day or Two-Trip from Munich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg