We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we mad?

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fife, Scotland
reviews: 16
Are we mad?

We'd like to take a trip this December to see the Christmas markets. We will have our 5 month old son with us. We presume that these markets will have more of an atmosphere at night which will mean our baby will be in his pram/stroller. Good idea or really bad!?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Are we mad?

> will have more of an atmosphere at night

As it get's dark shortly past 4pm more a late afternoon and early evening thing.

Nuremberg Christmas market is really crowded at weekends. Better to avoid the weekends with a pram/stroller there.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: Are we mad?

You're right about the atmosphere, the evenings would be a pity to miss. A pram is no good idea, though. Imagine narrow alleys between the rows of stalls and dense crowds. Getting through with a pram won't be easy, and the rest of the world won't enjoy being hit in the heels all the time. Some kind of carrier/harness/wrap/sling (lacking the correct term, I hope you know what I mean) to carry the baby in would be much easier to handle. Besides, being close to a parent's body, maybe even partly underneath the jacket if necessary, will keep the baby warm - it's December, after all.

Boston
reviews: 2
3. Re: Are we mad?

The lady from Karlsruhe gives good advice which I second. You will not want a stroller in those crowds.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
4. Re: Are we mad?

A stroller at 10-11AM when the Christmas Markets open would be OK, but at other times and especially in the evening they can be quite crowded, and walking through the middle of some can be almost impossible, let alone pushing a stroller. When my daughter visits me at Christmas time in Stuttgart she just uses a sling to carry the baby which works out well.

Of course the Christmas markets have their best atmosphere after dark, when they are also at their most crowded. If you actually want to purchase things, visit when they first open and they may almost be deserted. I live a few blocks away from Europe's largest and most visited Christmas Market in Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de and www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de latter only in German), and although I'm not claustrophobic, it's not a nice feeling being stuck in the middle of a gridlocked crowd with no way to get out. So go early for shopping, visit the markets' centers then, and in the evening limit yourself to the fringes of the largest markets where there will still be plenty to eat, drink, see and buy without finding yourself trapped. Spend the day sightseeing away from the markets.

Fife, Scotland
reviews: 16
5. Re: Are we mad?

Brilliant information. Thanks everyone.

6. Re: Are we mad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 01, 2009