We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day excursions from Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
reviews: 2
Day excursions from Munich

I was planning on visiting Munich from November 26 through December 2, 2013, and had hoped to book three different tours to see Rothenberg, Neuschwanstein, and also Salzburg. There appear to be a number of tour companies that offer these day trips, but none seem to offer them beyond October 31st! Do all the tour operators stop offering tours then???

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
1. Re: Day excursions from Munich

You can take yourself easily to Neuschwanstein and Salzburg without a tour group. You'll see the same inside tour of Neuschwanstein whether you go on your own or with a group, but with a group you will have to stick to their schedule and pay quite a bit more money. Salzburg is also easy. Both can be reached by train using the Bayern or Bavaria ticket.

Rothenburg (watch the spelling) is a bit trickier, since you would have to change trains several times, but can also be done without a tour group.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 69
2. Re: Day excursions from Munich

You are most likely going into a change of tourist seasons. The "winter" schedule will be different. I know rail, from USA can be confirmed 3 months in advance, but more $$.

The beauty of Neuschwanstein is from the exterior. Salzburg is a 90 minute, beautiful rail ride from Munich. This can be done easily in one day. You can walk from the Salzburg rail station into Old Town Center.

Rothenburg is just charming, if you can find an easy way there at that time. Make sure to visit Katie Wolfart Shops, if you get there.

rhode island
reviews: 2
3. Re: Day excursions from Munich

Thanks for your quick response! I know the public transportation system in Germany is excellent, but I was hoping to go with a tour group as it will be my first time in Germany, I don't speak German, and will be traveling alone. I did find a company, Radius Tours, that does offer the Salzburg and Neuschwanstein tours but nothing for Rothenburg, so I may try to do that one independently and just hope I don't get stranded there!!

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 69
4. Re: Day excursions from Munich

You wil find that most Germans speak English. You should not have a problem with that.

I suggest emailing one of the hotels or Tourist Bureaus in Rothenburg or Dinklesburg and ask if they can make suggestions for the time you want to visit.

5. Re: Day excursions from Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 23, 2014