We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer in Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Beer in Munich

Hi all

I am going to be in Munich the week after the Oktoberfest (I naively thought it was on for the whole of October, rather than just the first week!)

Still I'm sure there's good beer to be had. Can anybody recommend some decent pubs, preferably that serve beer in the traditional large "Stein" glasses ?

Cheers!

Lake Geneva...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Beer in Munich

Yes, The "HB" House, located near the center, touristy area.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
2. Re: Beer in Munich

Lots of places serve beer in liter mugs, so no problem finding them. These aren't actually steins though. Steins are the beer mugs with the attached flip-top lid :-)

Hofbrauhaus is a must-visit. It is touristy as heck, but just one of those places you have to see. And the Hofbrau beer is good.

There are other beer halls with better beer though. Each beer hall will serve beer from the associated brewery. Augustiner is my favorite Munich beer - there is a beer hall just west of the Marienplatz, right behind the Frauenkirche. There is also one on the street that links Marienplatz with Karlsplatz.

If the weather is good, spending time in a beer garden is a must. Here is a link to help you out:

http://www.munichbeergardens.com/Main_Page

I really like the beer garden in the Hirschgarten, near Nymphenburg Palace.

Just south of Munich is the Andechs Monastery - near the town of Herrsching in the Amersee. Fabulous beer. You can get it in Munich itself at Andecher am Dom, which is behind the Frauenkirche. Or you can visit the monastery.

The Weisses Brauhaus has some great beer as well - it is not a beer hall, but rather a largish restaurant - just east of Marienplatz.

Others will have their recommendations too, but this will get you started :-)

Bristol, United...
3. Re: Beer in Munich

Great, thanks both - looks promising

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
4. Re: Beer in Munich

Hi,

You may also want to check out a few of the beer gardens in the Englischer Garten, the cities large park. Very relaxing to sit beside one of the large ponds/small lake...

Zed

P.S. Not to put to fine a point on things, but for future reference, Oktoberfest runs for two weeks and is always scheduled to END on the first Sunday in October. This year it's 21 September - 6 October.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
5. Re: Beer in Munich

We had great time in Augustiner Keller and in Chinesischer Turm at the English Garden!

Grigoris

Asuncion, Paraguay
reviews: 44
6. Re: Beer in Munich

was there for three nights earlier this year. tried Augustiner Bräustuben, Lowenbraukeller and Hofbrauhaus... enjoyed all three, HB was the biggest spectacle, i think i liked the meal at Lowenbraukeller the most, but Augustiner Bräustuben had my favorite beer.

also did enjoy a liter of Hofbrauhaus beer by Chinescher Turm as well.

so much good beer, so little time!

Linesville...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Beer in Munich

Okay. This is going to sound weird, but, anyway..... Wife and I are going to be in the Bavaria area during Oktoberfest, and will probably be staying in Salzburg and taking the train to Munich for the day on 10/06. We aren't party hounds, just maybe a beer and some food, check out the scene, buy some goofy souvenirs, and head back to Salzburg. Can you get beer and food outside any of the 12 or 14 tents, or just food LIKE you get in the tents? I think I can score the goofy souvenirs outside, but the food is what has me concerned..... otherwise, it's over to Augustinerkeller for pork knuckle..... which I found to be decadently tasty on my last trip to Munich (not during Oktoberfest...). Input is appreciated!

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Beer in Munich

Some decades ago,we enjoyed an evening at Hofbraeuhaus

The waiters and waitresses dressed in Bavarian dress,and put up a show of Bavarian dance and drinking songs.

Does the Hofbraeuhaus still have this show?

Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 45
9. Re: Beer in Munich

@dott

You can’t get beer outside the tents (with one exception I think, there is a carousel that moves real slow, you can it on it and have a beer I think). But in general you can’t get beer outside the tents. And tents not only mean the huge famous ones, but the littler ones too. There are smaller tents that only hold a few hundred people instead of thousands. But food you can get anywhere on the Wies’n (the Oktoberfest grounds). There are stands EVERYWHERE! All kinds of food. The smells are great, especially the candied nuts. And remember there are lots of fun rides and things too.

Yes souvenir stands are everywhere too. Also if the doors are open to any of the tents, you can just right in, it doesn’t cost anything. And each tent will have their own souvenir shop inside.

Also in Salzburg, don’t miss the Stieglkeller. High on the hill below the castle. Fantastic views from their biergarten, especially at dusk.

I have some pictures from our last trip if you care to see them. They are under the titles of Füssen, Salzburg, Innsbruck and München.

http://whitefamilyckmpr.shutterfly.com/#

PROSIT!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
10. Re: Beer in Munich

@dottrz5:

On the sunday you should be able to get in a big tent and find a place. Ask if you can join at a table and squeeze in, this is normal.So enjoy the good food and beers and the great atmosphere!