We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple general questions

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
reviews: 115
Couple general questions

I'll be staying at the Hilton by rosenheimer plats and I read there is a supermarket or two within the station. Would these be open Sunday? If so, what time would they open? And what time do stores close on Saturdays?

Is it walkable from marienplatz to rosenheimer platz? I couldn't really tell how far it is and if it is pedestrian friendly..including crossing over water..

I will need to take the train to the airport. Looking at the website I see I should take the S-8 and a one way ticket for one person looks to be ~€10. Can I buy this from a machine (and will I be able to select English language) or do I need to buy this from a counter? And then do I need to validate it - or it is pre validated if I buy from a machine but not if I buy from a ticket counter?

I also looked at a map of rosenheimer plats and it looks like there are only two tracks eventhough I see on the mvv site that here are several trains running through the station are there screens/boards listin the train schedules or do you need to look at the trains as they arrive to see what train it is and its destination?

Thanks!

Durham, United...
1. Re: Couple general questions

There are plenty of stores within easy strolling distance, just relax and go with the flow. Most will be open on Sundays. The walk to Marienplatz is nice and relaxing, a few perfect places to stop on the way and have a drink/some food.

I always wonder why North Americans seem so pent-up. Switch to European mode and enjoy yourselves, don't over-plan and try to let the days unfurl as the hours tick by.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 150
2. Re: Couple general questions

A few answers:

15 mins walk to M'platz, all very easy and obvious.

You CAN buy tickets from machines that have English options, you'll need cash at R'platz as they don't take ccs.

You will find screens on each platform telling you the next 3 trains, and how long to each.

I would NOT expect the supermarkets to open on Sundays, but Kryztofer knows better than I.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
3. Re: Couple general questions

Sorry, but all the stores are closed in Munich on Sundays.

The only exception is a very small store attached to the petrol station next to the Holiday Inn.

The ticket machine at the airport has an English menu, and if you choose an Airport-City ticket then it will come out of the machine already validated.

All other tickets you have to validate (= stamp) in one of the blue boxes.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
4. Re: Couple general questions

First of all it is not in Munich but in all of Germany that shops may not open on sundays (except 3-4 sundays per year defined by each city), to prevent further questions. I don't now where Kryztofer has this.

Secondly, the shops inside train stations and airports are exempt from this rule, so yes, the shops in the basement of Ostbahnhof and inside the Hauptbahnhof will be open. But the choice of shops is limited. Rosenheimer Platz is just a subterranean stop without a shopping area.

Of course the distance is not only walkable but reasonably pedestrian friendly, it is all within the city heart.

Of course you need to look at the train to see what line it is and which you would need. All the information is in the info boards at the platform.

US
reviews: 115
5. Re: Couple general questions

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: Couple general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 23, 2014