We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

I will be arriving to Munich next week and will have the opportunity to do a number of day trips, including Lake Chiemsee. I would like to visit at least one other castle / palace besides the Herrenchiemsee.

I would like to get pro and con feedback on the two most "popular" ones - Fussen or Linderhof.

Thank you

Munich, Germany
reviews: 18
1. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

if you have a car then Linderhof is handy as it is near a motorway and you can also visit oberammagau nearby. Its also a little quieter and less touristy than neuschwanstein and nicer inside.

By public transport Linderhof isnt as easy as the castle at Füssen.

Neuschwanstein on the other hand has a train connection every hour from munich and the castle and setting is just magnificent and makes for fantastic photos.

inside isnt really all that impressive and either linderhof or herrencheimsee is FAR nice inside. I'd go as far to say that it really wouldnt be worth the hassle to go inside unless you had a tour without much waiting or lining up for tickets.

If you are driving you could always go to Linderhof (and go in) and Oberammagau and then later just look about the outside of Neuschwanstein and the marienbrucke (bridge) over the gorge a half mile away.

You REALLY dont need to see the inside of Neuschwanstein if youve already been to the other 2 more impressive castle interiors.

new york
2. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

Thank you. I will be going via public transportation. Is it all that difficult to get to linderhof by train/ bus? I would really like to combine that with Garmisch but that may be a very long day.

Plattsmouth Ne
reviews: 35
3. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

A trip to Füssen, provides three castles: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Füssen's own ancient castle on a hill in the middle of town. Beside that Füssen is itself worth a trip.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 18
4. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

it is practically impossible to combine Neuschwanstein with Linderhof and garmisch unless you take an organised tour or drive yourself.

Public transport across the alps is not frequent nor quick and the queues for tour tickets at the castle, especially Neuschwanstein, can take up a nice chunk of time for a tour that is an hour or 2 later.

A prebooked organised bus tour will have an arangement for a tour booked in advance with no waiting which really tightens up the schedule.

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 1
5. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

I visited Neuschwanstein as a child and my only memory of the inside is STAIRS! Do I have to purchase a ticket to take a carriage ride or walk up to the castle if I decide not to go inside as you suggest?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 100
6. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

You do not need to purchase a ticket to take the carriage ride up to Neuschwanstein, to walk up to the castle, to visit Mary's Bridge. You only need to purchase a ticket to go inside. To avoid the lines for same-day tickets, if you know which day you will be there simply reserve your tickets in advance, on-line.

Lake Chiemsee is beautiful too. The palace on the island in Lake Chiemsee is modeled after Versailles, and has an incredible Hall of Mirrors.

7. Re: Poll - Best Castle / Palace to Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 03, 2014