We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Is it possible to get a guided tour from Munich to Berchtesgaden & Salzburg. They appear to be in the same direction. I have only 5 days in Munich and would like to visit these areas. We will not have a car. I am aware that you can travel to Salzburg by train. If this is not feasible, I would appreciate assistance with planning two separate journeys. Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon USA
1. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

There is a lot to see in both locations and a tour that covered both, wouldn't do justice to either sight.

You can also travel to Berchtesgaden by rail. Go to the German Rail website www.bahn.de and punch in the details for your trip. You can switch the site over to English. If you wish to visit the lake and take the cable car up into the Alps, use "Koenigssee" as your destination on the German Rail website to see which bus to take from the rail station to the lake. The buses leave from the front of the rail station.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
2. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

You could even spend a night in Salzburg or Berchtesgaden, and tour one place one day and the other the next, then return to Munich.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

There is a frequent bus from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg. Take about 1 hour. You can also find it on www.bahn.de

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

I would spend a day in Salzburg and do a stop over at the Berchtesgaden on the way to Salzburg. Be aware the the Eagles nest may be closed in April. There is much to see and do in Munich so you may want to scale back your plans since you only have 5 days there.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
5. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Easy to do on your own. And a wonderful trip from Munich.

Bayern ticket will get you to Salzburg by train, walk to old town, enjoy the alleys, visit the fortress and Mirabell gardens. Stay overnight. Take the bus (the TI told us where stop was, easy 5 min walk from centre) in the morning, we left at 8am, 40 min to Berchtesgaden, transfer to another bus to Koenigsee. Can't go wrong. Got to lake in time for 9am cruise. Got combo ticket with Mt Jenner cablecar. Cruise on lake, went to far stop (not the church), and walked to Obersee, lovely walk to waterfalls if you like. Back on boat, then wandered up to cablecar, short ride and walk to summit. Spectacular views over lake and surrounding peaks.

Back to Berchtesgaden. We returned to Salzburg same way we came, but I guess you can return directly to Munich.

Totally gorgeous.

ireland
6. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Thank you very much for your detailed replies. The information is very helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 146
7. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Can someone advise how often the buses go down to the boat starting point at Koenigsee from Berchtesgaden, and where they start from I can't find them on BD.

Edited: 10:37 pm, February 12, 2014
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
8. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Is this the one you are after?

https:/…841.pdf

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 146
9. Re: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg

Thanks, thats the one. Looks like every hour or so during the week, from the train station. I presume they might be even more frequent in the summer.

Reply to: Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted