We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany Itinerary

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Germany Itinerary

I am going to Berlin in early May on business but have 6-8 days before that to visit other parts of Germany. This is my first time in Germany!! I want to see Neuschwanstein so that means I will be heading towards Munich. Any suggestions on how to fit Munich, Neuschwanstein, picturesque scenery, quaint towns, Romantic Road, and a good Riesling winery into this?? Is it even possible? And can it be done by public transportation or will a rental car be necessary? I am having a tough time finding a tour group that covers all this. We are also outdoorsy so a day of hiking/biking in the mountains would be great too! I know, it is ambitious!!!

munich
reviews: 38
1. Re: Germany Itinerary

For your info the Romantic road isn't actually Romantic. It was something made up by the German tourist board in the 1950s as a road that linked a number of popular tourist sights.

Take an Intercity train to Munich. www.bahn.de

You can get good discounts for advance booking on Intercity servcies. You can book up to 92 days in advance.

BAYERN TICKET

There is a ticket called the Bayern Ticket. Costs €22 for 1 person then €4 for each additional person up to a total of 5 people. Gives you UNLIMITED use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. Includes ALL Regional trains (includes all Regional trains from Munich to Salzburg - there is a train every hour and the journey takes 2hrs), ALL Regional buses and ALL city transport in Munich, Augsburg and Nürnberg.

Only the fast ICE, IC, EC and RJ Railjet trains are excluded

Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning

Full T&Cs and click on Bayern

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

DO NOT forget the 9am weekday restriction on the Bayern Ticket. This can mean that you may not get to somewhere (e.g. Neuschwanstein) before midday

HERRENCHIEMSEE

You may also be interested in visiting the Herrenchiemsee on Lake Chiemsee. It is another on of König Ludwigs follies (he of Neuschwanstein "Disney castle" fame). Located at Prien am Chiemsee (only 1hr from Salzburg or Munich on the Munich - Salzburg train - again Bayern ticket):

IMO a much nicer day out than hoofing it to Neuschwanstein. You can enjoy the palace, palace grounds and Lake Chiemsee

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/…index.htm

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/park/index.htm

There are various ferry services to the islands. Take the local steam train to the harbour

chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/files/chiemseeschiff…

chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/files/…fahrplan02.pdf

http://www.chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/

NEUSCHWANSTEIN

www.neuschwanstein.de

Can be done on the Bayern Ticket. There are some direct trains to Füssen (2hrs) where you then have to get a local bus.

Big problem with Neuschwanstein is that interior tours have to be pre-booked to a fixed time.

GARMISCH PARTENKIRCHEN

Again Bayern Ticket. Train takes 1h30 and there is a service every hour.

You could also take a trip up the Zugspitze. Germany's highest mountain

http://www.zugspitze.de/en/summer/

zugspitze.de/en/…zugspitze.htm

The Cogwheel railway is next to the train station at Garmisch. Overall time from Munich to the Zugspitze Plateau is ~ 3hrs

TEGERNSEE

Alternative place to visit would be Tegernsee.

http://en.tegernsee.com/

Lake surrounded by mountains. Not huge but the area range is from 790m to 1620m.

The "BOB" train takes 1hr and runs every hour.

I like the village of Rottach Egern.

There are numerous buses from Tegernsee Bahnhof (train station) going to Rottach Egern then heading off in different directions

All buses

rvo-bus.de/rvo-de/…

You can walk up the Wallberg or take the Wallbergbahn up and do some of the high walks. Easy going terrain.

http://www.wallbergbahn.de/

http://www.wallbergbahn.de/english/news/

wallbergbahn.de/english/…

webtv.feratel.com/webtv/…

http://en.tegernsee.com/service/webcams.html

The 9556 bus service (above) goes from Tegernsee via Rottach Egern to the Wallbergbahn

SEEFELD IN TIROL - AUSTRIA

If you wanted to stick to the train then take the Regional Munich - Garmisch -Innsbruck train to the village of Seefeld in Tirol ~ 2hrs

Stay a couple of days maybe

seefeld.com/en/…wandern-klettern

You could of course hire a car for a few days and drive down into the mountains/Austria. You then have a very large choice. Day trip hiking becomes an easy option

ELLMAU -SKIWELT

The village of Ellmau on the Skiwelt is only 1h10 drive (I ski there regularly)

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/summer-panorama.html

ACHENSEE

Popular place is the Achensee. We go there quite often on day trips with the car. Take the cable car up and there are plenty of walks.

achensee.info/en/…

and if you are up for it and are not scared of heights try the AirRofan (we did it - wife and my 2 kids). Basically you are strapped in like a hanglider then the "glider" is towed backwards up to the highpoint then released.

achensee.info/en/…

following in German - achensee.info/en/…

click on "Erlebnis AirRofan"

and open the video file

It is possible to get to Achensee by public transport. On one of our hiking days we gave a lift to a couple back from Achensee to Tegernsee train station.

They had got the Tegernsee 9550 bus to Achensee. But the service is limited and takes 1h23 just from Tegernsee to Maurach Rofanseilbahn (Cable car)

You would be better off with a car and either doing a day trip or staying for a couple of days

www.rvo-bus.de/file/3191862/data/9550.pdf

Tampa, Florida
2. Re: Germany Itinerary

Thank you so much for your wonderful guidance. Based on some of your recommendations, I think we will do 2 days Munich, Day 3 at Neuschwanstein and then proceed to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and spend 1-2 days there. IN regards to romantic road would you not recommend it? I have read about Rothenburg is a great place but not sure how to tie that in. Also, is there any way to tie in Wine Country experience. Ultimately we have to end up in Berlin.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 11
3. Re: Germany Itinerary

Hello, Rothenberg ODT is gorgeous - if you have the time or if it is on your way, this beautiful medieval town is worth every moment you can spare. So much of Germany was destroyed during the bombings; it is rare to find places that are not rebuilt but rather pretty original.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 24
4. Re: Germany Itinerary

Actually, Rothenburg was about 40% destroyed and rebuilt.

If you want original, there are other medieval walled towns that fit the bill. Try Büdingen, Dinkelsbuhl, or Nördlingen. These towns also will not have masses of tourists, tourist buses nor trinket souvenir stores.

USA
reviews: 32
5. Re: Germany Itinerary

I don't think Rothenburg is a "great place." It is very pretty and they maintain it very nicely. But there isn't much else there besides the pretty buildings--it isn't especially historic and not an artistic center.

I'm not saying don't visit Rothenburg, it is pretty and you can get a lot of great photos. Unfortunately, Rothenburg's Altstadt is almost totally aimed at the mass bus tourist trade--souvenir shops, year-round Christmas shops, and touristy restaurants are the norm. If you do visit Rothenburg, don't waste your money on their local "famous" (infamous?) pastryies--Schneeballen. They are Gawd-awful wads of dough, that just taste like and have the texture of wads of dough.

And, yes, Rothenburg's Alststadt (including the walls) was about 40% destroyed in bombings during WWII.

We liked Dinkelsbuehl on the Romantic Road. But even more interesting and historic would be Bamberg--just a few miles north of Nuernberg on the Regnitz River. A gorgeous Altstadt that is actually part of the city, not a tourist enclave (though they do get plenty of tourists), and lots of history--it was an imperial city and the only city north of the Alps with a Pope's burial site.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
6. Re: Germany Itinerary

Bamberg has the advantage that it is on the train route from Berlin to Munich and is served by long distance trains.

http://www.bamberg.info

If you visit Rothenburg continue from there to Füssen. Than to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and next to Munich.

Dinkelsbühl is not served by trains (anymore).

Rothenburg is in a wine region (Franken) and wine played once a big role economy wise. And as the legend goes also in saving the city from destruction (thirty years war). Albeit not a wine region known for Rieslings. That would be the Rheingau.

…rothenburg.de/kunst_kultur/weinkultur/

Bamberg is all about beer.

Edited: 9:03 pm, March 05, 2013
7. Re: Germany Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 07, 2014