We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 12
Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

I decided to go to Oktoberfest by myself this year. I've been before, so I know it will be crowded and expensive. I made my arrangements before I discovered this forum, but I thought I'd ask if I'm getting ripped off or not.

I booked a single at the Smart Stay Station Hotel (19-24) for 95€ per night. The normal rate appears to be 44€. I've read the rule of thumb is prices double, so I feel ok, but what do the experts think? Has anyone stayed there before? The reviews are lukewarm, but it didn't sound terrible. I prefer to stay close since when I've stayed outside Munich I've slept more in train stations than my hotel bed.

The reason I'm going the first weekend is to see the parades. Where's the best viewing spot? Is it best to choose one spot or can I move around? I've read that the tents are full by the time everything's done, but I figured I could take in part of those festivities and wiggle my way in somewhere.

Has anyone done the Munich Walks beer garden walk? I thought about doing it before things get serious. Is it worth it?

I'm contemplating a trip to Tegernsee. Yay or nay?

Lastly, any strategies for surviving a whole day at Oktoberfest? My usual plan is to eat something heavy before I go and keep it to about 4 liters over the 6-8 hours I'm there. Then I hydrate and take a multi-vitamin before I sleep.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
1. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

I don't know the hotel but the price is alright if you get a private room. Where do you plan to wiggle your way in on the opening saturday? I don't give you much chance.

For survival, it seems your strategy worked well before, so stick to it. I always eat a lot, if you forget this, it can go wrong. And I try to count my beers, and always try not to drink too many in the afternoon, max 3. And drink some water in between, e.g. when going to the toilet. SOmetimes a whopper or doner on the way home helps too.

munich
reviews: 38
2. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

As mentioned above you can't wiggle your way in anywhere if all the tents are locked shut - as they generally are now by lunchtime at the weekends. This normally used to happen when it rained but now happens even if it is bright sunshine and 23C.

I've been going for over 20 years. My wife and I were regular visitors on the middle or last Saturdays but only with bright sunshine/warm weather. As a couple we never had a problem finding somewhere. However in the last 2 years despite hot days we have arrived at the Wies'n at lunchtime to find ALL the tents locked shut due to overfilling.

Worse on the first Saturday. Sunday evening you might find your way in but again if it rains expect the tents to be locked shut the entire day.

BIERGARTENS

You can do this on your own and probably get to see ones other than the usual tourist traps

My local is easy to get to.

Michaelibad stop on the U5

www.michaeligarten.de

On the same U5 you can get off at Max Weber platz and walk down to the Hofbräukeller Biergarten (this is NOT the Hofbräuhaus)

http://www.hofbraeukeller.de/

hofbraeukeller.de/der-hofbraeukeller/biergar…

Walk back to Max Weber platz and take the U5 to Hauptbahnhof then walk the 500m down the Arnulf strasse to the Augustiner Keller

http://www.augustinerkeller.de/

Minneapolis...
3. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

Thanks for the information. I'm suffering from cabin fever since its been so cold here (-10F / -25C ). It's nice to think about this trip even though it's 212 days until Oktoberfest.

Doesn't the opening day parade go right down Wirtbudenstrasse? Couldn't I just watch the beer wagons roll by while standing in line for a tent? If you had to choose between the two parades which would it be?

I'm seriously considering getting some lederhosen now.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
4. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

When you are in line for a tent, you will be crushed in a giant mob of people. You won't see anything.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 9
5. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

"Couldn't I just watch the beer wagons roll by while standing in line for a tent?"

The beer wagons will be around for two weeks, but they are not the best part of the parade. The parade consists of groups in traditionial dresses not only from Germany but from all over Europe, accompanied by bands playing folkloristic music. You don't want to miss that.

Minneapolis...
6. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

Hmm. Maybe I will forego the parade on the first day. Are there any impromptu biergartens along the route of the Trachten parade?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
7. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

For the parade I think you really have to stand alone the road to see anything.

8. Re: Oktoberfest Prices and Misc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 07, 2014