We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 103
Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Hi,

I will be in Munich a few days around this Christmas. I assume the most boring day is Christmas eve when all the activities stop in the afternoon except the public transportation. Rather than Architecture walking tour around the city, will there be any place not far from city where we can spend half a day with beautiful nature? Also please advise about how to go.

I also plan to have a reserved dinner on the Christmas eve at Thai Restaurant name "Yum". Does it close or open that day? Thanks!

Y

München
1. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Hi,

just make a trip to the Starnberger Lake. Take the commutertrain S6 get of at Possenhofen and walk down to the lake. (about 10 minutes walk). You pass the Kaiserin elisabeth Museum:

kaiserin-elisabeth-museum-ev.de/eng/…

not sure if they are open, but you can send them a e-mail and ask.

Then you can pass the Castle of Kaiserin Elisabeth:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possenhofen_Castle

from here you can walk along the lake to Tutzing (about 2-3 hours walk) and in Tutzing you can take the train back to Munich.

www.meinestadt.de/tutzing/bilder

The walk is very nice you can see always the lake and the mountains.

You will pass just before Tutzing the cafe and restaurant Häring`s, where if it is open, you can have delicious cakes:

www.haering-wirtschaft.de/newpages/frueh.htm

Here is the e-mail where you can check if they will be open:

information@haering-wirtschaft.de

Have fun

Bangkok, Thailand
2. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Thank you very much!

München
3. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

This was a quick feedback

munich
reviews: 38
4. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Or take the BOB train to Tegernsee ~ 1hr €11.10

http://en.tegernsee.com/

or go to Garmisch ~ 1h30

BAYERN TICKET

There is a ticket called the Bayern Ticket. Costs €22 for 1 person then €4 for each additional person up to a total of 5 people. Gives you UNLIMITED use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. Includes ALL Regional trains (includes all Regional trains from Munich to Salzburg - there is a train every hour and the journey takes 2hrs), ALL Regional buses and ALL city transport in Munich, Augsburg and Nürnberg.

Only the fast ICE, IC, EC and RJ Railjet trains are excluded

Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning

Full T&Cs and click on Bayern

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

So for instance it would be cheaper to use the Bayern ticket to get to Tegernsee and back than buying single tickets.

Also use it for Garmisch

Bangkok, Thailand
5. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Thank you all! all the destinations posted here are very beautiful however will there be any activity in those towns or everything is closed like Munich. thanks!

Y

München
6. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Well, not everything in Munich is closed. As I wrote in a previous post:

A link showing restaurants in Munich which have been open last year on christmas eve. It is quite possible that these restaurant are open this year, too.The restaurants are written in bold type with the web adress:

abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.essen-gehen-…

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
7. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Hi yongyes,

In Garmisch, as giftzwerg noted, you can ascend the Zugspitze, Alpspitze, or Kreuzeck, or you can walk around the Eibsee, or get on another walk in the mountains and enjoy nature.

s

Bangkok, Thailand
8. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Thank you all!!

Bangkok, Thailand
9. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Hi,

2 more things, I assume the Christmas eve is considered holiday and If I set off very early morning, says 6am, I guess the Bayern Ticket will cover the early morning ticket.

This might be a silly question. Frankly, my itinerary is that I reach Munich at 9-10pm on Dec 22nd. There is nothing to do on the first day.

On the 23th, I set off early for Füssen and Neuschwanstein which I think I need whole day for these.

On the 24th, I am hesitant about hanging around in quiet Munich whole day or going out as I also love to see Mountain, Nature and small town (Garmisch, I prefer.). This might take whole day as well. There is not enough time left to do anything in Munich but only an evening stroll.

On 25th, I have to leave for Austria early Morning.

What do you think about 24th? Both things are important. I should hang around in Munich or go to Garmisch. Thank you again for ll advise. They are very helpful to me.

Y

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
10. Re: Day Trip from Munich on Christmas eve, possible?

Attention - Christmas Eve, Dec 24, is no official public holiday. Hence the 9 a.m. rule applies.