We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
reviews: 5
Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

I'm looking for a ski resort that is fairly easily accessable from Munich airport, either by train or bus. We want to go over new year and stay for about a week. The flights into Munich are alot cheaper than into Innsbruck or Salzburg. Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

karen

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
1. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

I'm not big on skiing but I place I really love to visit and is a ski resort in winter, is St Gilgen, I think it's a delightful place. This is a 45 min regular bus ride from Salzburg.

St.Gilgen is a very relaxed place, quite small and perhaps not 'trendy' but do a google of the town, ask on SAlzburg forum too. There are many towns accesable from Salzburg and as you know regular trains from HFb MUnich that take what, less than 2 hours.

If you are interested in smasll places look at my remaining review, it's a guest house in St.Gilgen and many photos of the town on that review link.

Hope this helps

Stoofer

Cardiff, South Wales
reviews: 15
2. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

A reply to a Swansea Jack from a Cardiffian on a Munich forum about Austria!!!

For the last 5 years we’ve flown into Munich (from Heathrow) and taken a train either to Seefeld or Ehrwald. We only go for the atmosphere and cross-country skiing and although I see people skiing in Seefeld I understand it’s not great for the better ability skiers.The village is beautiful though, hence we keep returning. However I believe Ehrwald and the neighbouring resorts of Lermoos, Biberwier and Berwang are good for the advanced skiers.

The latter resorts require a change in Garmisch, but fairly easy to do. I thought Ehrwald was very much a place to go skiing rather than for the atmosphere of the surroundings, but Lermoos was a really attractive place.

The Munich airport to Austria experience is really easy to do and cheap - approx £25 for a family each way. We are 2 adults and 2 children and have been doing it since our son was 1 year old back in 2006. The dbahn website will give you all relevant train times. We are going again this Christmas.

Pob lwc

Cardiff, South Wales
reviews: 15
3. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

A reply to a Swansea Jack from a Cardiffian on a Munich forum about Austria!!!

For the last 5 years we’ve flown into Munich (from Heathrow) and taken a train either to Seefeld or Ehrwald. We only go for the atmosphere and cross-country skiing and although I see people skiing in Seefeld I understand it’s not great for the better ability skiers.The village is beautiful though, hence we keep returning. However I believe Ehrwald and the neighbouring resorts of Lermoos, Biberwier and Berwang are good for the advanced skiers.

The latter resorts require a change in Garmisch, but fairly easy to do. I thought Ehrwald was very much a place to go skiing rather than for the atmosphere of the surroundings, but Lermoos was a really attractive place.

The Munich airport to Austria experience is really easy to do and cheap - approx £25 for a family each way. We are 2 adults and 2 children and have been doing it since our son was 1 year old back in 2006. The dbahn website will give you all relevant train times. We are going again this Christmas.

Pob lwc

munich
reviews: 33
4. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

You could try the Skiwelt. I ski there a lot especially over Xmas/New years as it is an easy day trip for me (1h10 by car)

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter

skiwelt.at/en/the-ski-resort-skiwelt-wilder-…

Look at staying in Ellmau or Söll (Soell but often written as Soll in English)

You can get direct intercity trains from Munich to Kufstein in ~ 50mins.

Regional trains ~ 1h10

From Kufstein a taxi to Söll is ~ €30

Ellmau ~ €45

SEEFELD IN TIROL

You can get direct Regional trains from Munich to Seefeld but Seefeld has barely enough skiing for half a day let alone a week. Only 30km in total and that is split between 2 ski areas linked by a bus that runs every 20mins

www.seefeld.com

ST GILGEN

Not really an alpine skiing destination. More cross-country

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
5. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

Giftzwerg

How so? Please expand, I'm not a skier but have visited here in summer and winter but I know folk who ski and board here regularly,i understood it was nice for familes, intermediates and beginners. That's why I said it's small, relaxed and not trendy. Is it really correct to say it's not a sking destination?

So far as I know the Zwolferhorn has nearly 1000m slope and there are around 6km of pistes. There are what 3 lifts I think, visable off season anyway and used for summit access for hikers. The resort 'shares' Wolfgansee as a resort, all close easy access and also the postalm closer to Stroble. These villages all very close and effectively a resort, no?

Not arguing, I'd just like to know and it would be good clarity for the OP

Cheers

Stoofer.

Edited: 7:03 am, October 08, 2012
munich
reviews: 33
6. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

Stoofer -

St Gilgen/Zwölferhorn has only 7km of piste. For an intermediate skier they would get bored after 1hr. It only has 1 cable car and 1 drag lift

Compare that to Seefeld which has 30km which I said is barely enough for half a day. Compare that to Brauneck at Lengries (where I first learnt/tried to ski) which has 13 drags, 3 chairs and a cable car and 34km of piste and Spitzingsee which has 12 drags, 3 chairs and a cable car and 25km of piste (another place I went for the day when learning) you see how little 7km is.

Putting these small places into perspective and compare that to

Skiwelt which has 279km of piste.

Alpbach 147km

Ischgl 232km

Mayrhofen 159km

Intermediate skiers will easily pootle along at 30km/h

Even kids.

The single run down from the top of the Hohe Salve (skiwelt) at 1800m down to Brixental village is 7.3km

The single run down from the top at Ischgl down to the village is 11km

Gives you an idea of how much skiing there really is in a ski area and how much can easily be covered.

The smallest place I have been to for a day trip in recent years is Waidring/Steinplatte/Winklmoos

That has 2 cable cars, 8 chairlifts and 3 drags and 50km of piste. Skied every run some a number of times - and I am a leisurely skier. Went with my wife and son.

Going to Skiwelt we easily ski from Ellmau all the way round Brixental, Hopfgarten, Söll and half way back by lunch. My mate skies every talfahrt to all the villages on a day trip

Mayrhofen and Ellmau/Söll are popular ski destinations for families. Seefeld is popular with complete beginners/families and mixed groups of skiers/non skiers.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
7. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

OK Thanks for the info. Very interesting for a non skier.

It does make me wonder why St.Gilgen is advertised for skiing, when I've been there I always thought what a quaint spot for skiing and I know a few who use it, not for long vacation granted but I'm quite surprised it's a place for a couple of hours skiing and the get bored. Just shows how much I know, I'll stick to recommending it for walking and summer visits ;-)

Stoofer

Wilmette, Illinois
reviews: 22
8. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

Where do you stay? Hotel/other? I find it difficult to find hotel rooms that accommodate for than 2 in a room. Can you recommend a place? Thanks!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
9. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

I noted where I've always stayed in St.Gilgen, but it seems it's the wrong call for skiing for most so perhaps Giftswerg or others can give some accommodation tips on these resorts mentioned.

It might be better for you to start another thread, AmericaninHei.....

Stoofer

10. Re: Ski Resorts in Austria with easy transfers from Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 14, 2013