We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
reviews: 1
Prices in Munich

I think I'll be in Munich in March 2013 on business (and possibly holidaying after). I've tried searching here and elsewhere, but having no luck - can anyone tell me the prices of a cheese omlette, steak and chips, local dishes, cocktails etc, at basic or budget places? We're happy wondering into side streets, but not too far away from the main areas.

Also, I'm not sure how big Munich is, but assuming we need to use public transport to see the sights, how much is that? Is there a day travel card or similar? I havent yet researched what we might visit, but mainly buildings, parks, landmark type things - can we take photos, and are there typical entry prices?

We will be on a budget for the holiday, so if there is a much more money friendly city in Germany with sights and such, could you recommend?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
reviews: 66
1. Re: Prices in Munich

As is most big cities, you can spend as much or as little as you choose to on food. I cannot comment on specific prices for the dishes you named above as they are not generally what I order.

The Viktualienmarkt is a daily food market and a square in the center of Munich and you can find inexpensive meals there and in the surrounding areas. You can also purchase some foods to bring back to your room and enjoy there.

We walk most everywhere when we stay in Munich and when using public transport, we pay as we go. Cannot help with travel card but would be quite surprised if that was not an option.

"can we take photos, and are there typical entry prices". I have not seen many places where you would be prevented from taking photos. As for entry prices, you can easily find this information once you have done your research and decided what you want to see.

Munich is a great place to visit and there is also a lot to do and see in the surrounding areas. That being said, Berlin for us is our favorite city in Germany and we find it to be a great value overall for food and accommodation as well as having great public transport.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
2. Re: Prices in Munich

Last summer in Munich, my husband and I spent an average of 100 euro/day for the 2 of us for food, beer, public transport, and entrance fees. We aren't extravigant in our eating - had a fair number of meals in beer halls and beer gardens- but we didn't watch our pennies either. And we each drank at least a couple liters of beer a day. If you don't drink as much beer and eat more cheaply, you can definitely get by on less.

For public transportation, we took it a fair amount. Depending on what we were doing, we paid as we went or bought day passes. Here is the web site for the Munich transportation system. You can see what sorts of passes are available and the costs. The Partner day passes are a good deal if you have 2 or more people travelling together. You can buy a day pass for the inner Munich only, which is where most of the attractions are, or for the entire network, which includes the airport, Dachau, the Amersee, etc.

www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/homepage/index.html

For the cost of attractions:

> Churches are free, but there is generally a nominal fee to climb a tower.

> Museums have entrance fees, you can check their web sites for details. As an example though, the Residenz combo ticket is 11 euro/person. Admission to the Alte Pinakothek is 7 euro/person.

> The English garden and some other gardens are free admission.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
3. Re: Prices in Munich

Take a look at

http://www.braeustuben.de/

There is an English version there. It's low end but high quality food in a beer hall. Abt 10 euro per meal/ course.

As for cheese omlet etc, don't expect either these sort of things- or chicken- to be widely avilable

Brighton, United...
4. Re: Prices in Munich

Ahh, I didnt reallise about the food availability - I just returned from Lisbon and they had a lot of omlettes there. I have food intolerances that make me quite sick. Is the lack of plain foods quite typical for Germany? I'm also vegetarian...

Thankyou for the info regarding travel and entries, most helpful!

I had a look at Berlin, and while it does seem cheaper, by the time you got to a hotel without bad ratings (about things that would bother me anyway), the prices seemed comparable with Munich? I'm referring mainly to cleanliness and being able to check in at the agreed time advertised (private bathrooms are also important to me though)!

It looks like it might be better for me to just go to Prague after my business in Munich is over, if I'm not going to be able to eat much anyway? I would really value recommendations, this will only be my second trip abroad so I am somewhat ignorant.

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
5. Re: Prices in Munich

Do an internet search:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187309-c40-Muni…

www.happycow.net/europe/germany/munich/

You might explain what you mean by "plain foods". You mention steak and chips and then say you are a vegetarian. Most restaurants that I have visited in Germany in recent years have some sort of vegetarian dish on the menu. Folks here are very helpful if they understand the question.

Good Luck, Gary

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
6. Re: Prices in Munich

I'm now confused.

I sent you a link to the Augustiner Braeustuben with a menu (in English) that includes vegetarian dishes.Agree with Trikist that most restaurants do veggie options; I've travelled with veggies who've not found a problem in Bavarian.

Although veggie steak and chips is not a usual dish.

Having been to Prague, my experience of their food would suggest Munich as being a better option for a vegetarian.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 24
7. Re: Prices in Munich

There are tons of vegetarian dishes on menus, as well as vegan type dishes in Germany. You will do better here than in Prague. When I look at all of the dishes with potatoes, mushrooms, cabbages, salads, rice, cheeses, eggplants, pumpkin, zucchinis, couscous, tomatoes, etc. etc. I am baffled that you think there will be little to eat here in any of the cities of Germany. Dining in Berlin is not that different than dining in Munich. Being vegetarian and vegan is extremely popular here.

There are also a plethora of lovely, clean, decent hotels in Berlin. Where are you looking that you have come away with such a negative attitude about nice hotels in this city? Have you checked a booking site like www.hrs.com?

Edited: 2:33 am, September 25, 2012
Brighton, United...
8. Re: Prices in Munich

The steak and chips is for my boyfriend :) He loves a good slab. Vegeatarian options I often cant eat as I cant eat a lot of fibre containing foods, including most vegetables, without a very painful time after.

By plain foods I mean dishes without sauces, hence why when I eat out I stick with omlettes or chips or white rice based meals - then I can pick out any problematic foods.

I was looking at booking.com for hotels. I'll try www.hrs.com later.

Sorry if I've offended, I havent explained myself well.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
9. Re: Prices in Munich

don't think you've offended anyone, just confused us.

You can get simple foods very easily in Munich. But you may need a bit of German to explain your needs.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
10. Re: Prices in Munich

Prices and choices in terms of variations much the same as Brighton IME

Stoofer