We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever to Lebara, I just used their SIM in the UK and liked it.

I have found a new mobile phone company to recommend to travellers to Munich.

Lebara offers pre-pay (pay-as-you-go) :

- cheap calls within Germany,

- cheap to outside Germany, and

- now also a data flat rate for 30 days of 500 MB at 9.90€. After you have used up the 500 mega bytes, the speed will be throttled from 7.2MBit/s to 64 kBit/s ( = about the speed of dial-up modems in olden days).

As always in Germany (the Lebara SIM comes with a German mobile phone number), all incoming calls are free.

Lebara operates in the T-D1 network of T-Mobile, which is the longest established mobile network in Germany.

It offers very good connectivity, and if you also intend to travel in rural areas of Germany, reception will still be fine.

Their web site is in English: http://www.lebara.de/?isoCode=en_GB

price list for calls: www.lebara.de/prepay/preise?isoCode=en_GB

instructions how to book the data flat rate: www.lebara.de/shop/angebot#offer-dataflat…

You can top up either by credit card or by buying top up credit from a store.

To find a store to sell you the SIM (or to buy top up credit) near your hotel, just put in your hotel address here: www.lebara.de/storefinder?isoCode=en_GB

German law asks for all SIMs to be registered to a person, so before you can use it you will have to activate it online on this web page: https://www.lebara.de/sim-karte-aktivieren…

If you don't activate the SIM, it won't work!

If you have any other questions, here are their FAQ: http://www.lebara.de/faqs?isoCode=en_GB

Please remember that you need an *unlocked* mobile phone to use the Lebara SIM (or any other German SIM).

The phone also has to support GSM900 or GSM1800. i.e. GSM standard with 900MHz or 1800 MHz).

Any triband cell phone (900, 1800, 1900) or quadband (850, 900, 1800, 1900) is ok.

Most of the newer cell phones should work, but please check beforehand.

If your mobile phone isn't unlocked you cannot use a SIM other than the one of your home provider.

So, ask your provider well before your trip to unlock it for you!

If your provider doesn't want to do it, then you can google:

unlock, "your mobile phone type"

to find somebody who will do it online for you either for free or for a fee (around 25 USD).

30 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
11. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

>Ah okay, so the SIM cards themselves are all the same, and all the plan info stuff is taken care of online, I take it? (Adding specific data plans, etc)

Yes.

>Also, I have an older (3GS) iPhone, so I believe the SIM card is just normal size?

Yes, the iPhone 3G and 3GS phones use normal size SIMs, no need for any cutting down in size.

For future reference by other tourists:

The iPad and iPhone 4 need the smaller, cut-down Micro-SIM.

The iPhone 5 uses the even smaller, cut down Nano-SIM.

Here's a picture showing the different sizes for the iPhone: toytowngermany.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_…

Minneapolis, m
12. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Singapore, Singapore
13. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Hello may I ask if we can ask the shop assistant to help us cut the original SIM card into the size that is iphone 4 compatible?

I find it troublesome to buy and bring a cutter just for the holiday.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
14. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

If you buy the SIM in a drugstore like dm then no, the assistant is there just to operate the cash desk.

If you buy it in a dedicated phone store like The Phonehouse then you could ask, but they will probably just want to sell you a different provider that already has a micro SIM, but that is more expensive.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
15. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Here is a Singapore seller of a micro SIM cutter on ebay, with free shipping to Singapore, at 8.50 S$ (around 5€): ebay.com.sg/itm/…141001055991

Berlin, Germany
16. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

So I have to buy the flat500 for 9.90 Euro, then buy the data1000 or 3000 plan I want, which drains my account, and then I have to top up to use the plan?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
17. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Does anybody know if you can use a Lebara SIM on PHUKET

Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
18. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

Just adding to the above, I would like to keep my own number is that possible?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
19. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

By the way, you have noticed that this is the Munich, Germany forum?

No, you cannot keep your own number.

Roaming with a German SIM in Thailand would be prohibitively expensive.

Texas
20. Re: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate

My question is about using an unlocked iPhone 3GS. Can I insert the Lebara SIM and use only the phone and text without buying a data plan?

Reply to: Lebara SIM - cheap calls home and 500MB data flat rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted