We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
White Lake...
reviews: 5
Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Which town is better to visit?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
1. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

If you want to be in the Alps, Mittenwald.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 21
2. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

If you took the time to advise folks what you like maybe one could answer it. As it stands you really havent put much thought into it so not sure how helpful anyones answer will be.

Portland, Oregon USA
3. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Hands down, Mittenwald is the better town to visit.

South Florida...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

I agree with teleport. I've been in Germany since mid February and have visited Mittenwald twice! It is soooo beautiful and charming. It took my breath away! I also visited Ober and it was nice, too. But Mittenwald (for me) was better. I can pass on some info as to where I stayed if you want.

I'll be in Munich till mid/late April and I'm def going back because the views are spectacular. I'm not suggesting you go 2,3 times (it's a tiny town), but I think you'll be happier visiting Mittenwald.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
reviews: 19
5. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Another Mittenwald here.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
6. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Have to stop doing this- I agree with KIR.

Without any indication of what you want, the answers can't be useful.

Mittenwald- village high in the Alps with cable cars, mountain walks. Oberamm.- small town in wooded valley with great architecture; passion play.

Mission Viejo...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

I loved Mittenwald!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
8. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Great to hear so many votes for Mittenwald, we head there this summer.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
9. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Ozzie,

Great choice, and easy to get to if you are coming from Munich. You could actually combine a train trip using the Bayern ticket to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Zugspitz with a visit to Mittenwald (time wise this works better on a weekend as you can travel before 9 am with the Bayern ticket). When you are done with G-P, just hop on the next train to Mittenwald, about 20-30 minutes further from G-P (trains go approx. hourly). You could go up the Karwendelbahn in Mittenwald, it's cheaper than Zugspitz. Allow for a leisurely walk through the town, a meal, and then catch the train back to Munich! A great outing!

Tip: pick up a timetable leaflet for this route at the train station so you have all the train departure options with you as you go.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
10. Re: Mittenwald or Oberammergau?

Thanks Lorikeet, we have 2 nights there (after Fuessen) so will be able to go up the cablecar and do some lovely walks. We will return to Munich via Zugspitze, as my son really wants to see snow!