We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2011 in Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 18
Christmas 2011 in Munich

We're planning a white Christmas with our teenage daughters - would prefer apartment or similar in or near Munich - we really just want to bunker down for a few days and enjoy some sightseeing, but understand it will be cold. Any suggestions??

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 60
1. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Hi Kayveezee,

We spent Christmas 10' in Germany and Austria, arriving in Munich on Boxing Day. The weather in Munich varied, but it was the coldest place we visited, but I think that this had more to do with us being there during a cold snap. We had one very cold day about -8 top temp, but the other days were around -2 to zero for tops and no wind, rain or sleet. We dressed in layers normally 3 to 4 with light weight good quality wind and rain proof coats as the outer layer and survived quite happily.

The best thing we did was buy good quality water proof hiking shoes and boots for the trip. These not only kept our feet warm and dry the allowed as the walk around in snow without any trouble. Gloves good quality woolen or ski type are a must plus so are hats and a scarf.

We stayed at Citadines Munich which was about 5 minutes tram ride from the main train station. It was good basis family accommodation which gave us the ability to buy our own food to save costs. It is about 15 minutes by public transport which is really good to the markets. The markets will provide enormous entertainment and cheap food.

There is plenty to see and do. We hired a car and drove to neuswaschstien ??castle. We also spent 5 days in Salzburg ( we had Christmas day there )which is only about 1 1/2 hours away by train and it was fabulous.

It was cold but you soon adjust and get use to it. our family of four ( two teenages) had an absolute ball and would go back tomorrow if we could to experience another white European Christmas.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

If you are set on a white Christmas, chances in Munich are about 10-20%, and that's a very optimistic estimate. In 2010 we got a white Christmas all over the country but this is a rare occurrence. If you want a 90-95% snow guarantee (100% is impossible) you have to stay somewhere in the mountains, best in one of the ski resorts. A big city in the lowlands cannot promise snow.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Munich is not exactly lowlands, that's rather a high plain. With 518 meters above sea level the 2nd highest located big city in Europe. E.g. Innsbruck directly in the Alps is with 578 meters not that much higher located.

> but understand it will be cold.

Not necessarily cold enough for snow. I would see the chance for a white Christmas in Munich around 30%. The higher the altitude the higher the chances for a White Christmas.

I agree with Blandine on this "you have to stay somewhere in the mountains" but not on this "best in one of the ski resorts". At least if you're not into skiing. The more important for winter sport a place is the more expensive it is and the more difficult it will be to find any vacancies there between Christmas and New Years.

Mittenwald is a nice Alpine town, no big ski resort and with 923 meters above sea level at a really high altitude. Connected by direct trains with Munich.

http://www.mittenwald.de

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
4. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Compared to the Alpine regions, Munich is "lowlands". And about the only places that can guarantee snow are the ski resorts - that's why they are ski resorts.

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

I'll second the Citadines recommendation. We stayed there during Oktoberfest last year and liked it so much we're staying there again this year. It's a very good mix of apartment & hotel. There's a kitchen for you to buy & store food (and if you're there on Christmas Day make yourself a meal - but no oven), and you can get a full one-bedroom (with pull-out couch in living room) for comfort. The tram stops literally out front so it is quick and easy to get around. Also just down the street from Augustiner Keller - also recommended! Enjoy! I've always wanted to go in the winter.

Ko Chang, Thailand
reviews: 8
6. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Just have enough Glühwein, enables you to cope with the cold.

Surfers Paradise...
7. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Thanks for this helpful reply - Mittenwald is exactly the sort of place I was looking for, and have now booked our Christmas there, and it's central to hop down to Italy for the New Year. And yes, bring on the Gluhwein!

Surfers Paradise...
8. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Thank you for your prompt & helpful reply also - the boots seem a must also for Venice - now I've just got to convince teenage girls they're fashionable!

Surfers Paradise...
9. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am for suggesting Mittenwald. Ten of my family travelled from Australia to spend our first-ever 'white Christmas', and this town was just perfect and magical! we travelled by train from Munich and as we approached the alps the scenery was just stunning and the snow was getting deeper. We walked to dinner on Christmas Eve in the snow, which is just surreal for us, we normally swelter at Christmas in temperatures up to 35 Celsius! Some members of our group did ski, and found the close by fields just perfect for their needs. Overall we just loved this place and it's beauty, but I don't want to spread the word because I would hate to see this town overrun by tourists/development!

Somerset,England
reviews: 5
10. Re: Christmas 2011 in Munich

Actually Mittenwald is great any time of year and is probably fairly well known as a tourist place although I feel not overrun like say Garmisch is ? Its a top priority on our initnerary in July. Did you like the murals on the walls of the houses?