We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayern Ticket

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maumelle, Arkansas
reviews: 34
Bayern Ticket

I am having problems finding answers to a few specific questions concerning the Bayern ticket. As I understand it can only be used during weekdays on RE, RB, and ALX trains, but not ICEs, and only departing after 9am? I also think it is only for open seating in second class coaches? Can you get off one train and on another in the same day as long it is within the same day? I know that I can but a Bayern ticket in Munich, but is the ticket readily available to purchase for the return? I'm pretty sure Nuremberg is included in the area for this ticket but what about Bamberg and Regensberg? We will be there in a couple weeks and this ticket seems to be a very economical way to go for a couple, unless I'm missing the downside. Does anyone know the current price? I've seen two prices online. Thank you.

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
1. Re: Bayern Ticket

The Bayern Ticket can be used on all local/regional trains. Use:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Set Means of transport to only local transport.

If the Bayern ticket applies, it will show up as a savings fare as a result of your search (from Bamberg to Munich for example).

The Bayern Ticket can be used either on weekdays or weekends. When it is used on weekdays, it must be after 9AM.

It is a day ticket that can be used on multiple local/regional trains within the same day.

The Bayern Ticket is good throughout the state of Bavaria, which includes Regensburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg and, of course, many other places.

It costs 28 euros for 2-5 people from the ticket machine. It costs 30 euros if you buy it at the ticket counter. It is a great bargain. I plan my vacations around these Länder (state) tickets.

Regards, Gary

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
2. Re: Bayern Ticket

> it can only be used during weekdays

It's also valid on Saturday or Sunday. Than even without the past 9am restriction.

> on RE, RB, and ALX trains, but not ICEs

It's a local public transport ticket. Covered are

- regional trains (RE, RB, ALX, BOB, ...)

- S-Bahn

- U-Bahn (metro)

- trams

- buses

Far distance trains like ICE or IC/EC trains are note covered.

> I also think it is only for open seating in second class coaches?

It's only available for 2nd class.

Open seating is standard with regional trains. The ALX trains have however also 2nd class compartments.

> Can you get off one train and on another in the same day as long it is within the same day?

Yes.

> I know that I can but a Bayern ticket in Munich, but is the ticket readily available to purchase for the return?

You can buy it from ticket machines at any train station. Or at the counter if the station has one. This will add however EUR 2,00 to the ticket price. You can also buy it for a date in advance (but don't forget the the Bayern Ticket comes with no change, no refund.).

> I'm pretty sure Nuremberg is included in the area for this ticket but what about Bamberg and Regensberg?

Map where the Bayern Ticket is good for:

bayerntakt.de/media/…Netzkarte_Gesamt0608.pdf

> unless I'm missing the downside.

You already have found the downsides. No far distance trains. And on weekdays you can use it only after 9am.

> Does anyone know the current price?

EUR 28,00 for 2-5 persons.

3. Re: Bayern Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 26, 2010