We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying a baby around in Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bartlett, Tennessee
reviews: 1
carrying a baby around in Munich

Hello, my husband and I will be in Munich for only 1 or 2 days soon on business (his job). I will have a 12-year-old daughter and 3-month-old baby with me. Wondering if anyone knows if it is illegal to carry a baby around on public transportation (e.g. busses, trains) without a proper car seat, or do you just carry them on your lap?

Also we will probably be staying at hotel Arabella Sheraton Westpark which is supposed to be near city center. Any suggestions on a short day trip for me and the kids? (we will have a travel stroller we could fold up and carry with a shoulder strap on the bus or train). I went to Nymphenburg & Olympic Park when I visited Munich 26 years ago ~ that's the last time I was there.

Thanks!

Munich, Germany
1. Re: carrying a baby around in Munich

You will find Munich's cleanliness and superior public transport a highlight in your trip to Europe.

Where did you get the idea that it might be illegal to not have a baby in a carseat? I have never ever encountered this in my lengthy travels within Europe, or to the States.

You may hand-carry the baby, carry her in a sling, or use a stroller. Whatever is best for you. Access is easy.

Linz
reviews: 7
2. Re: carrying a baby around in Munich

You don't need to fold up any strollers or anything like that!

Trams and Busses in Europe are totally different compared to the USA!

All busses and trams have special areas with enough space for strollers, wheelchairs, ... in busses enter thru the 2nd door! (will be marked). As far as I know, all busses and most of the trams in Munich are low floor, so there's only one step between the sidewalk an the bus/tram.

Usage of U-Bahn and S-Bahn is absolutely no problem, you'll find an elevator everywhere!

Have a nice time in Bavaria!