We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

Which Hohenschwangau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

we're planning to visit neushwanstein castle on 1st dec. we'll be coming from Innsbruck.

should we stay over night in fussen or in Hohenschwangau?

also, should we drive from Innsbruck or take the train?

thanks

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
1. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

Fuessen is a larger town, whereas Hohenschwangau is a tiny vilage at the base of the castles. Both are good choices, just depends on the atmosphere you want. In winter, i would take the train.

Aarhus, Denmark
2. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

I stayed in Füssen which was nice. Easy to take the bus to the castles and Tegelbergbahn. With carefull planning even possible for me to visit Wieskirche by bus.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
3. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

The reason for almost all visitors to come there is to see Neuschwanstein Palace. Why not see it as this work of architectural art deserves to be seen, under different lighting conditions throughout the day and night? Therefore, I would always recommend staying in Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) in a hotel that has close-up views from your room of Neuschwannstein Palace and/or Hohenschwangau Palace which are lit up by night. We always stay in Villa Jaegerhaus which I highly recommend. This former hunting lodge has rooms that face one or another of the two palaces, and some both palaces, and possibly from your bed. The restaurant in the associated hotel across the road is very good, serves many flaming dishes, and has excellent views of the palaces while you dine. Their breakfast is also excellent, you can have omelets made to order. Oh, for lunch you can have their excellent wild boar bratwurst.

Dubai, United Arab...
4. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

That's a great idea- staying over night in the village gives us the beautiful night view of the castles all lit up :)

I'm getting confused about what's the best way to get there from Innsbruck.

We had thought we'd rent a car from Innsbruck, drive to fussen & then onwards to Hohenschwangau. The train journey is supposed to be much longer. & we don't have much time, since next morning after seeing the castle, we have to drive back to Innsbruck to catch our train to Zurich.

Is driving going to be very difficult at end of November?

Dubai, United Arab...
5. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

That's a great idea- staying over night in the village gives us the beautiful night view of the castles all lit up :)

I'm getting confused about what's the best way to get there from Innsbruck.

We had thought we'd rent a car from Innsbruck, drive to fussen & then onwards to Hohenschwangau. The train journey is supposed to be much longer. & we don't have much time, since next morning after seeing the castle, we have to drive back to Innsbruck to catch our train to Zurich.

Is driving going to be very difficult at end of November?

6. Re: stay in fussen or Hohenschwangau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hohenschwangau