We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zugspitze Cable Car

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
reviews: 39
Zugspitze Cable Car

We were thinking of taking a cable car up to the top of the Zugspitze and having lunch there, but I think I read somewhere on the forum that there is no car in Germany - the only cable car going to the top is in Austria. Is this correct? We are not going to ski, but we are travelling in winter and hoping to go up to the top for the great views.

Thank you!

29 replies to this topic
Inchicore, Dublin...
1. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Hi,

there is a cog rail going up to Zugspitze from the Garmisch rail station.

Holger

St. John's, Canada
2. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Thanks Holgar - do you know if we can have lunch up there too? How long does it take to go up, and then back down again and are the line ups very long between Christmas and New Year's?

Thanks again!

Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 11
3. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

You may find all/most your questions answered on the Zugspitze website http://www.zugspitze.de

Cable car did not operate in November due to annual maintenance but back in operation now.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
4. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Hi Time-and-Away,

Yes, you can take the 1h15 cog railway up to the Zugspitze platz, and then a cable car to go on up to the very top of it. There are restaurants at both places. You can come down the cable car all the way to Grainau, and that's a spectacular sight over the Eibsee. You may want to walk a bit around the Eibsee, then take the Eibsee bus back to Garmisch.

s

St. John's, Canada
5. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Great suggestions! I'm wondering - when I was checking Michaela's link it said the cog railway only ran to October - maybe I read this wrong? Sometimes there is a problem with the English translation - I think - if the railway is closed, then we cannot get up to the cable car so maybe that is also closed. Do you think this is correct?

Would it work to take a car from Ramsau through Mittenwald, and over to GP to catch the cable car up, look around, then come back down and continue to make our way down to Fussen/Hohenschwangau?

Thanks again everyone!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Hi again,

lol, neither the cog railway nor the cable car are closed or will be closed. The Zugspitze is open for skiing, and that's a major moneymaking operation here -- it is running full steam.

If there are high winds, then the cable car will be closed temporarily.

In any event, you could always take the Eibsee bus to the Eibsee cable car and go up (or down) that way.

Dear goodness, no need to take a car to any of these places -- don't spread those emissions!

s

Barrie, Canada
7. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

The way up by the gondola is just like 15 minutes..... it starts at the Eibsee.

Carmel, Indiana
reviews: 15
8. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

I went to the top of the Zugspitze in mid September. Caught the train from behind the Garmisch rail station, switched to the cog rail at Grainau which went to the Zugspitze platz, cable car to the very top, cable car back down to Grainau and finally the train back to Garmisch. Cost then for the round trip was 50 euro.

Plan on spending at least a half day for travel time and to completely enjoy the scenery, views and restaurant. Make sure the forecast is for clear weather otherwise you will be disappointed and waste your time and money.

Frankfurt, Germany
9. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Hi,

I will be going to Garmisch Partenkirchen on 21st Dec and will reach there by 1.00PM. I have plans to visit the Partnach George same day and halt. Next day on 22nd Dec I wish to start for Zugspitze and be back. Next morning I leave for Munich.

Can you help me with some info about, if I can accomodate Alpspix in between? Also, if you could help me with the fares for reachiing Zugspitze from GP Hbf and return also taking a cable car in between? If I have to reach Alpspix, what would be the best mean and fare of course?

Thanks in advance.

Avinash

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Zugspitze Cable Car

Hi avi_in_Frankfurt,

I would actually recommend that you do the Partnachklamm at night with a guided torch hike -- it is spectacular, with the frozen waterfall overhanging the walking path. You can find the telephone number to arrange the tour on this web page:

http://www.gapa.de/page/node/49/story/200

You can find the prices for the trip up to the Zugspitze on this web page:

zugspitze.de/en/…fussgaenger.htm

You can see that the price is 41,50 Euro. You can also get the "Two-Peak" for 53,50 that will include the trip up to the Alpspitze. To get there, get off the Zugspitze train at the stop "Kreuzeck/Alpspitze" and then walk to the Alpspitze cable car. The Alpspitze ticket alone is 25 Euro.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Reply to: Zugspitze Cable Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted