We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 22
Trip report

Hello. Just recently returned from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Had an enjoyable stay. We stayed at the Gastehaus Antonia, which was great for us. About a 10 minute walk from the center of Garmisch, but right around the corner from a bus stop. Unfortunately for us, it rained EVERY day we were in Garmisch, but we didn't let that stop us. We still went to the Partnach Gorge, which was beautiful, stopped by the Olympic stadium, walked the town, went to the Zugspite, and found getting around very easy in the town. Just beware that stores close early in Garmisch. Hope to go back again sometime when the weather is much nicer.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the report, shacksugar99! Yes, we've had an unusually high amount of rain lately; in fact, many rivers throughout Europe were flooding or in danger of flooding. I'm glad it didn't slow you down!

s

Boston...
2. Re: Trip report

Hello Swandav. Yes, we saw the flooding when we took the train from Garmisch to Berlin. Enjoyed Garmisch too much to let the rain slow us down!

Fayetteville
reviews: 17
3. Re: Trip report

How many nights did you stay in Gaumisch??

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 55
4. Re: Trip report

Hi,

I am planning a German Alpine road trip with my husband and teenaged daughter in Aug 2013 and intend to stay in Garmisch for a day or two - do the Zugspitze trip and possibly also visit the Gorge - would you suggest I can do that by staying overnight in Garmisch? How does one get to the Gorge?

Hopefully the rains will leave by then.

Appreciate your advice.

Tnx

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 107
5. Re: Trip report

Garmisch Partenkirchen is lovely! We spent last Xmas there and had a great time. The gorge is about a 20min easy walk from the ski jump stadium in Garmisch Partenkirchen. The cogwheel train to the Zugspitze leaves right from the train station in town.

Santa Rosa, CA
reviews: 21
6. Re: Trip report

The weather has certainly been weird. Hot/rain/hot etc. I hate it when I hear that folks were rained out while in Garmisch, as anywhere else really! The Werdenfels Museum in Partenkirchen is an inexpensive way to spend an afternoon learning about

local & Alpine history. One doesn not have to know German to enjoy. Great little wine bar a couple of doors away, inexpensive

italian wines that are great for the price point. (We live in wine country and have been very impressed with their choices.)

They have little munchies & coffee if you prefer. The Aschenbrenner Museum in Garmisch is another interesting place too.

Once you are done there, go around the corner to the old Garmisch Brau Haus Stube and enjoy the impressive old inside frescos and old time stube. They are friendly to americans and have an English Menu. (Edelweiss Hotel staff quarters are further down the street, so they even know to ask if you want water with your meal!)

Boston...
7. Re: Trip report

Hello. We stayed 4 nights in Garmisch.

Boston...
8. Re: Trip report

Hello. Yes, I would suggest spending a few nights in Garmish, if you intend on walking the gorge and going to the Zugspite. Wherever you are spending the night in Garmisch, you should be given a ticket that entitles you to free transportation on the buses in Garmisch. Also get a map from the hotel/pension for the bus line. The bus that you want to take to get to the gorge (if your not within walking distance) will let you off at the hospital, then you walk about 5 minutes to the Olympic stadium. Walk through the stadium to the other side where there is a road that you have to follow for about 10-15 minutes to get to the extra to the Gorge. There are two different paths if I remember once you get to the gorge. One is a pretty strenuous hike, across bridges, etc. The other one is paved, which is the one we walked. It sounds confusing but once you see a map of Garmisch and the bus lines it will make sense.

9. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 26, 2014