We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinks in Germany

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tipp City, Ohio
drinks in Germany

Hi! I've been reading about drinks in Germany and I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with!

Is there a way in a German restaurant to get regular bottled (spring) water? I don't want tap water or mineral water. I don't drink beer or wine. From what I've been reading, it's considered rude/uncivilized to ask for tap water (Leitungswasser), and the only other type of water they mention is mineral water (with and without carbonation) and I hate any type of mineral water. What else is there usually to drink in German restaurants besides mineral water, beer or wine?

Thanks!

Tobie

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 153
1. Re: drinks in Germany

Spezi (mixture of cola and orange), apfelsaftschorle (apple juice in fizzy water) orangeschorle (you guessed it), and all the usual suspects like Coke, diet coke ("Cola light").

Leitungswasser is perfectly normal.

However: spring water IS mineral water, I'm afraid. At least mineral water in a bottle always comes with a spring named as its source. (eh Petrusquelle)

Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 15
2. Re: drinks in Germany

Sometimes restaurants have table water as Coca Cola's Bonaqa available though at least that is minimally mineralised as well as far as I know if it is made in a factory where tap water is used to produce it (differs from factory to factory in Germany, there are a quite a few all over the country).

Edited: 8:42 am, May 30, 2013
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
3. Re: drinks in Germany

Hi T_Snyder44,

I get Leitungswasser all the time; as ethelman2 notes, it's quite normal.

s

Tipp City, Ohio
4. Re: drinks in Germany

Thanks!

Bainbridge Island...
reviews: 13
5. Re: drinks in Germany

Tell them you want water without gas, it will be flat.

One of my favorite drinks when I lived there was Orangead. It would come in Orange or Lemon and it tastes like san pellegrino. Of course there are hot beverages like Cappuccino all over too.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 24
6. Re: drinks in Germany

If you want bottled water without gas, ask for water like Evian or Vittel and they will know what you mean. I often ask for tap water and sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. There is nothing rude about doing this.

Lots of different juices may be on menus. Things like cherry juice, apple juice, etc. My favorite is cherry mixed with banana juice, called a Kiba. Also iced teas, or fresh teas. If you read lemonade, it will usually mean Sprite or Fanta. Occasionally, you will get a restaurant that makes their own lemonade, but they are few and far between.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 5
7. Re: drinks in Germany

I'm also a fan of Apfelschorle or Johannisbeereschlore (apple or current respectively). It's really refreshing and both are popular non-alcoholic drinks.

Kelkheim (Taunus...
reviews: 26
8. Re: drinks in Germany

Ask for "stilles Wasser" and you'll get non-sparkling spring water, no tap water.

Bottled water in Germany is spring water.

9. Re: drinks in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen