We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel Munich, Garmisch, Bingen, Cologne

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Negaunee, Michigan
reviews: 5
Train travel Munich, Garmisch, Bingen, Cologne

I am trying to figure out what is the best train ticket to get for my daughter and I when we travel next month in Germany. We will fly into Munich, stay 2 days, take train to Garmisch, stay 4 days, train to Bingen or near there and river boat to St. Goar, or nearby. Another train the next day to Cologne for one night. I have looked at the Bayern ticket and German Railpasses. I know we will do side trips to Dachau, Fussen, Mittenwald and the Zugspitz.. I have been to the DB website but remain confused. I like the idea of being somewhat flexible with our schedule and not have to take a specific train at a certain time. I am open to take the bus, too!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
1. Re: Train travel Munich, Garmisch, Bingen, Cologne

"I like the idea of being somewhat flexible with our schedule and not have to take a specific train at a certain time."

If you can nail down your train for the Garmisch-Bingen trip, you can take advantage of the advance-sale savings fare tickets. Two can probably make this trip for 60-70€.

Then the other legs... all prices for 2 persons. Do them whenever you like (Bayern ticket after 9 am weekdays.)

1 daytrip Munich-Dachau on S-Bahn (about 14€on a partnertageskarte ticket)

1 trip Munich-Garmisch (Bayern ticket, 26€)

1 day trip Garmisch to Mittenwald (regular ticket, 16.80€ round trip)

1 day trip Garmisch to Zugspitzbahn (free with Garmisch guest card), Zugspitzbahn itself extra of course

1 day trip Garmisch-Füssen (free as far as Reutte by train with the Garmisch guest card; pay for the bus to Füssen and back to Reutte. Couldn't be much. 12€? Or use a Bayern ticket.

1 trip Garmisch-Bingen (depends on availability of savings fares for your date.)

1 trip Bingen-St. Goar by boat (about 38€)

St. Goar-Cologne (Less than 50€ regular fare on the MRB train; 42€ if you travel on Sat or Sun on a Happy Weekend ticket daypass.)

You will also need transport from MUC into Munich. Try the airport-city day ticket, about 20€:

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

I have assumed you're flying out of Cologne and don't need additional ground travel.

If you get that Garmisch-Bingen ticket for 70€ add that all up and you get around 240€ or so total for two.

Find the Garmisch-Bingen ticket for your date here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I would generally advise you not to attempt all this travel, however. It's too much for the time you have.

2. Re: Train travel Munich, Garmisch, Bingen, Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen