We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 10
"P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

Hello,

can someone (Swandav?) explain what the difference between "P" and "F" mean for star ratings for holiday apartments? I looked up the German tourism and I see that it could mean Privatzummer or Ferienwohnung. What I don't understand is why a single property offering a range of apartments has some apartments marked with P and others with F, followed by their star ratings. Is there a difference (size? facilities?) that I am missing?

FWIW, I'm looking at Fiakerhof in Partenkirchen, and any comments on that would be most appreciated. And comments on pros/cons on staying in Partenkirchen vs Garmisch would also be appreciated.

thank you

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
1. Re: "P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

"What I don't understand is why a single property offering a range of apartments has some apartments marked with P and others with F"

Many small operations offer both Privatzimmer and Ferienwohnungen.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: "P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

A "Zimmer" is just a room. A "Ferienwohnung" is an apartment with kitchen facilities and often more than one room.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
3. Re: "P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

Hi mumofkids,

As Russ and BlandineForberg have given you the answer to the "P" or "F" question, I won't repeat that.

The Flakerhof looks like a very nice little Ferienwohnung. However, the skiers will have to take the bus or a taxi to the train station (for Zugspitze or to catch the Skibus). The nearest bus stop would be on Badgasse (just north of Hauptstrasse), so it's very close to that. There is a smaller pedestrian zone in Partenkirchen that runs along Ludwigstrasse, and this Ferienwohnung will be very close to that, about five minutes. You've probably already google-mapped it, so you probably know the location. It will take about 10 minutes for the bus to run from Badgasse to the center of Garmisch for the non-skiers.

I lived for about 14 months in Partenkirchen. The pedestrian zone there is smaller than the one in Garmisch, so there are fewer cafes, restaurants, and shops, and there are far, far fewer English speakers there. There is a small Tengelmann and a large Rewe grocery store nearby to buy provisions for the apartment. Partenkirchen is a good location to walk on the Wank (though it may be too slippery and dangerous in the wintertime), to go up the Partnachklamm, and to see the Olympic stadium.

I personally would prefer to stay in the center of town, where there is more activity and there are more options for shopping and eating.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Singapore
reviews: 10
4. Re: "P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

Thank you, Everyone!

5. Re: "P" stars vs "F" stars for holiday apartments? Difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen