We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

what is best town to stay if i want to go to zugestein, mittenwald, neuchwanstein (also if time permits other sites on route. thinking by train and bus. have 3 days . on third day want to take evening train back to munich. is it better to stay in garmisch and do day trips to each or mittenwald. i thought munich would be lot of back and forth.

i might add that we are all 4 of us vegetarian so too small a town might not have food choices.

what is exact name of train station for garmisch,

also one closest to neucwanstein (via ruette as it is more scenic - how do i route that if i am going from garmisch)

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
1. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

The route from Garmisch to Hohenschwangau (where Neuschwanstein is located) via Reutte has spectacular scenery, and it's not hard to do at all. First you take the train from the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Bahnhof to Reutte, Austria. Then the bus from Reutte to Fuessen. Then another bus from Fuessen to Hohenschwangau. You can plan all this on the Germain rail site. http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

This entire route (except for the bus between Reutte and Fuessen) can be done using the Bayern or Bavaria train ticket, basically a day pass for the regional or slow trains. Total for a day's travel for all four of you would be 34 Euros on the Bayern ticket, with a few rules. Here's a site to explain the rules.

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

Mittenwald is beautiful, smaller than Garmisch, well worth a visit. So is Fuessen, the town near the village of Hohenschwangau. If you know the day you are planning to see Neuschwanstein, it's best to reserve tickets on-line. You might even consider spending one night in Fuessen, then seeing Neuschwanstein first thing the next morning. That is, you could spend one or two nights in Garmisch or Mittenwald (only about 20 minutes apart), then travel to Fuessen via Reutte and spend the night, see Neuschwanstein the next day and then back to Munich.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
2. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

Hi tina s,

Yes, I think Garmisch would be the most central town for all you plan to do, and there are two Indian restaurants in town that will make sure you find good food within your preferences.

The exact train station for Garmisch is simply Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It should be the first entry on any drop-down list. If you let us know what other stations are coming up in your search, we can tell you exactly where they are (usually they are bus stops).

Have fun as you plan!

s

Portland, Oregon USA
3. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be a good choice for the trips you have planned.

As for being vegetarian, German restaurants usually post a menu near the front door or in a window. You can check the menu to see prices and if there are sufficient vegetarian choices for you.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 83
4. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

We stayed in Garmisch last Sept and it was a short bus ride to Mittenwald. Train travel is also available, we just wanted to take a different transport mode. Post #1 was the exact route we took from Garmisch to Neuschwanstein, we had no problems with the train to bus exchanges.

We were being flexible and booked our tickets online just 2 days in advance for the castle.

You will love Mittenwald, so beautiful!

5. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

All nice...try Schwangau

6. Re: garmisch vs munich or mittenwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen