We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Zugspitze

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
reviews: 75
Advice on Zugspitze

Hello! We are driving from Munich and want to take take the gondola to the top of Zugspitze. What is the latest we can arrive in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in order to have ample time to summit/enjoy the view/possibly toboggan and come back down?

22 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
11. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

SVT -- ok, that's great to hear. When you wrote that you would be in Garmisch "the night before the trip," it sounded like you'd be here only one night. That's a better plan!

s

Berlin, Germany
12. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Hi! Hope it is ok if i jump into this conversation.

My friend and I have plans on going to Zugspitze in the end of July. We now live in Berlin and want to make a week-trip to see Zugspitze and maybe go to Lichtenstein and somewhere in Switzerland. We don't know much about the area and what there is to see yet. Basically what we want to do is hiking and experience beatiful views. We don't have much experience of hiking but we are physically active and up for challenges (to a certain level, of course).

Does someone have any suggestions on where we should go and what we should do? What is worth experiencing and seeing, given that we have a time-limit of one week?

We are thankful for all kinds of advice :)

IL USA
reviews: 36
13. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Hello. We will be staying in G-P next week for the festwochen. It seems I read it was held at Whittlesberger Park or something like that. Where is that in Garmisch? Or is it on the outskirts somewhere?. We will be staying at Edelweiss Lodge on St. Martin. I'm assuming there will be bus transportation to the festival. Pics look like a huge tent with lots of long tables. Does everyone get in, or is there some sort of a table reservation? Have been looking forwards to this all year. Want a good seat. Looks like we might not see much if we are in the back of the tent. Thanks for any advise you can give.

IL USA
reviews: 36
14. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Oops. I see I posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
15. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Hi BEAR031,

Wittelsbacher Park is just a little bit away from the center of town; you can easily see it if you go to google maps. Do a search for "Wittelsbacher Park, Garmisch-Partenkirchen," and it should come up. It is at the intersection of Parkstrasse and Alleestrasse.

You can take a bus from the Edelweiss. Walk out the pedestrian gate and walk around the corner to Zugspitzstrasse and the bus stop there, called Breitenau. Take the bus down Zugspitzstrasse and get off at the Kurpark stop (town busses will be free for you). You'll have to walk a few blocks, down Parkstrasse, to get to the fest grounds.

Sorry, I don't know if you need reservations. I think not.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Bristol, England...
16. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Do you recognise the Bavarian town where the opening scene of The Great Escape was filmed?

Details on FUSSEN / Pfronten pages of www.thegreatescapelocations.com

Hope you can help....

Don

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 83
17. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

We bought our tickets the evening before, based on the weather forecast. If it is rainig/foggy on the mountain you will waste your money. Check theZugspitze weather verus the villae weather.

Devon
reviews: 6
18. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a ticket for the cog wheel train only or is it only possible to buy tickets for the combined train and cable car. Have been on the website but cannot find information on this. Any info on current ticket prices, all I can find is last winter's prices.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 17
19. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

No, you cannot purchase a cogwheel only ticket. There is just 1 ticket you can buy for the summit, and its regardless of whether you use only cogwheel or only cable car or a combination.

florida
reviews: 136
20. Re: Advice on Zugspitze

We did the cogwheel train up and the cable car down. It was a beautiful clear day and you need to relax and enjoy this. I think it was over 70 euro to do so don't rush. The little chapel was gorgeous. Stop and see it.

Reply to: Advice on Zugspitze
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen