We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Negaunee, Michigan
reviews: 5
Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

I am traveling with my 19 year old daughter for 2 weeks in June. We plan to fly into Munich and move on to Garmisch for four nights. I would like her to see Dachau, Hofbrauhaus, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I would like to know if these are tours I should book in advance or if we can hop a train to go ourselves? Is it better to stay in Munich for a couple days or travel from Garmisch? I am not one for big cities.

Also, I am looking stay at the Gasthaus Bridgett. Is this a good location for getting around Garmisch?

Finally, is there a train from Garmisch through Cologne to Amsterdam? If so, how long would this take? I would like her to see the Cathedral there. I have been to these locations before but we were driving. The trains will be a new experience.

Thank you for any advice!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

For Dachau and Hofbräuhaus you would better stay in Munich. Or you may stay in Dachau town which is by the way really nice.

http://www.dachau.de/tourism.html?L=1

Public transport network of the Werdenfelser Land (Garmisch-Partenkirchen region).

bahnland-bayern.de/tl_files/bahnland-bayern/…

Mittenwald, Linderhof Palace, Oberammergau, Ettal Abbey (between Oberammergau and Oberau) are e.g. ideas for trips from Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

www.alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/mittenwald

http://www.linderhof.de

There is a day ticket for this area which is EUR 11,50 per person (for the area inside the beige line).

There is a direct bus from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Hohenschwangau (village and ticket center) dep. 09:40 arr 11:46. It is hardly recommended to reserve tickets for Neuschwantein and Hohenschwangau castles in advance.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/765.0.html

Instead of taking the same route back you proceed to Füssen and from there to Reutte by bus. And from Reutte back to Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the scenic Ausserfern Railway.

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausserfern_Railway

The normal train route from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Amsterdam is via Cologne anyway. No matter if you use the scenic route through the Middle Rhine Valley or its highspeed bypass between Frankfurt and Cologne.

With your interests I guess the Middle Rhine Valley is something for you

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de

For the convenience of the tourists they have built the cathedral anyway right next to Köln Hbf (the main train station).

…flickr.com/36/80000466_1ea76ec6b5_o.jpg

http://www.cologne-tourism.com/

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 78
2. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

It's an extraordinary experience to walk out of the Hbf and see the massive Dom right there in front of you. There are also a couple of really good musuems/art galleries very close to the Dom and I'd recommend at least a couple of days. We loved Cologne.

We went DIY to Dachau - allow a longish half day. We loved Munich - lots of wonderful things to see including the Resizenz and a number of very beautiful churches.... stay a couple of days

Negaunee, Michigan
3. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

Thank you for the advice!

We are so excited to go. I have been to Bavaria four times in 25 years, but it will be a first for my daughter. So much to see and do but mostly want to enjoy the beauty and history of the area. When I have gone before I felt I had to rush around.

I've done the Zugspitze twice and am thinking about trying the Wank instead. Is this a good alternative?

Has anyone stayed at Gasthaus Bridgett? Is there a better alternative?

Last time I went to G-P, we stayed in Partinkerchin. The area was a little less busy and there was an open market right on our street. I'm hoping to find something like that.

I've been to the Linderhof but am interested in seeing the Abbey.

I think taking a different route to and from the castles/Fussen is a great idea!

Is there a town you'd recommend staying in between Garmisch-Cologne-Amsterdam? We will chose the scenic route through the middle Rhine, time permitting.

Thank you again!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
4. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

Hi Mareb5,

Yes, the Wank is a good alternative to the Zugspitze. You may also want to consider the Alpspitze, which has an incredible viewing platform over the Alps:

zugspitze.de/en/…alpspix.htm

I've never stayed at the Gasthaus Bridgett, but it looks like a charming Bavarian inn. It does sit on one of the busy streets in Garmisch, so it could be noisy when you open the windows. It's not too far from the pedestrian zone, just a quick walk down Alpspitzstr to Marienplatz.

The market in Garmisch comes on Friday and is held along the pedestrian street Am Kurpark, so you can get to it from anywhere if you are in town on a Friday; the market is in Partenkirchen on Thursday. You can see where your hotel is in relation to Am Kurpark using google maps.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Negaunee, Michigan
5. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

Thank you again. It looks like we will miss the open markets but I think we will try the Alpspitz as suggested.

I really appreciate your help.

Negaunee, Michigan
6. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

I am a little confused as to what kind of train pass to purchase if we are to travel by train on four different days, from Munich to Garmisch, to Bingen, St. Goar to Cologne. Is the German Rail Pass the best way to go? It looks like it can be expensive if we wait till we are there to purchase individual tickets for my daughter and I. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
7. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

Hi Mareb5,

I think that the discounted advance-purchase fares are more economical than any kind of a pass.

For the trip from München to Garmisch, just use the Bavaria Ticket, which will be 26 Euro for two people to travel all day within Bavaria:

bahn.com/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

For the other trips, try to find some discounted fares -- they go on sale about 92 days early, though, and may be already sold out for June. But it doesn't hurt to try! The discounted fares are as low as 39 Euro, so it pays to try to find them. Look on

www.bahn.com

Have fun as you plan!

s

8. Re: Munich, Garmisch, Colgne, Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen