We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth west aust
reviews: 1
which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

We will be travelling down from Munich mid june and would like to stay overnight in Garmisch-Partenkirshen area with going up Zugspitze the next morning. Any suggestions for a hotel (mid-price range) and easy access to railway station please ??

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
1. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Hi pisces-nomad,

Actually, you can vary your round-trip up to the Zugspitze by taking the bus (the Eibsee bus) to Grainau and taking the cable car from there up. It's an awesome trip to see the bright blue lake fringed by pine trees as you ascent -- naturally, you can do this either going up or coming down.

I've never stayed in a hotel here, but I can tell you which hotels would be close to the train station. I've often recommended the Hotel Bavaria because it's convenient to both the train station and the pedestrian zone. It gets decent reviews at this site, and I've never had anyone come back and tell me it was a bum steer.

http://www.hotel-bavaria-garmisch.com/

However, the town has an excellent bus system, and your hotel will give you a pass to use the bus system for free. It is very easy to hop on a bus and get to the train station from just about anywhere -- and it would be useful also to be near a stop for the Eibsee bus in case you decided to go on the cable car. So, just find a nice hotel that you like, and chances are you'll have no problem at all getting to the train station or to the Eibsee bus.

Have fun!

s

perth west aust
2. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Thanks s

We also intend to then visit neuschwantstein castles before heading up the romantic road.

Would you suggest we base ourselves in Garmisch for a few nights and travel to the castle from there or just continue on and stay at various hotels along the way?

It all looks so beautiful and want to see it all !!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
3. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Hi again,

I personally prefer to use the base-town type of travel so that I don't waste time with the chores of packing up and checking out of a hotel, then checking into a new hotel and unpacking again. I also limit my day-trips to two hours of travel in each direction, so I make sure my base town has plenty to do.

Yes, you can easily get to Füssen and back to Garmisch by busses, a few direct busses every day.

However, Garmisch isn't really well located for your trip onward to the Romantic Road. Maybe you should see the Zugspitze while enroute --put your suitcases in the lockers in the train station, go up and down the Zugspitze, and then get to Füssen for the night.

Good luck as you plan!

s

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

See this thread where I linked a map of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and how to get around.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187302-i1345-k442…

What you can do from Garmisch-Partenkirchen as a day trip is Linderhof Palace.

http://www.linderhof.de/

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are also possible as day trips, but if you want to proceed with the Romantic Road I would stay in Füssen (the start point of the Romantic Road) and not return to Garmsich-Partenkirchen.

public transport network in the Werdenfelser Land (Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Oberammergau)

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/alle/dbregio/ausfl…

Füssen is not shown on the map, but it is located at he Forggensee lake which is shown on the map.

There are buses covering the route Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Hohenschwangau - Füssen. Albeit most of them with a change of buses on the route. Another option is to travel by train to Reutte and from there by bus to Füssen.

DB timetable will show you connections for both options.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Hohenschwangau

To: Fuessen

Macau
reviews: 55
5. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Hi, Pisces-Nomad,

I stayed at Hotel Bavaria last August. The room that I spent three nights was clean with a big bathroom. It was on the 2nd floor but the hotel has no lift. The breakfast is ok with all I need in the morning. It is less than 10 minutes walk to the train station, so just check the train schedule and allow sufficient time to walk up there. It is a nice walk.

We went up Zugspitze in the morning. Zugspitze is between Austria and Germany, i.e. you can go up there from both Germany and Austria. Last year, we went up from GP and by mistake went to the platform for Austrian side for the way down, but fortunately stopped by the staff there.

We also went to Linderhof from GP on a different day. It was a nice day-trip and Linderhof is magnificent.

In my opinion, GP is not a good base for Neuschwantstein castles. Last year, we spent two nights in Fuessen for the castles before moving to GP by bus. As far as I remember, it took almost 3 hrs to travel from Fuessen to GP, and with a change in Oberramagau.

Kan

perth west aust
6. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

Many thanks to you all for the info.

Have booked the Bavaria Hotel for an overnite stay.

Have a hire car so onward travel shouldn't be too much of a problem : ) ???

I hope.

Pisces-nomad

7. Re: which hotel to stay at for easy access to zugspitze?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, October 29, 2012