We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oberammergau in December

Which Oberammergau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fgura, Malta.
reviews: 22
Oberammergau in December

We are a family group of eight people visiting Munich for the end of the year and would like to take a day trip or two outside Munich. I have never travelled in Germany in winter and so do not know if the train trip to Oberammergau is worth it. Is Oberammergau nice at that time of the year, Will it be very cold there, please tell me, thank you

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Oberammergau in December

Oberammergau is a nice town to visit, but probably less so in the winter than in the summer. There are many other nearby places for day trips that are easier to acess by train: Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald to the south; Salzburg, Berchtesgaden to the southeast (although Bgd'n takes little longer by train than the others); Oberstdorf to the southwest. All are picturesque and - except for Salzburg proper - offer some opportunity/ies to take cable cars or cograilway to get to the top of some of the surrounding mountains

Fgura, Malta.
2. Re: Oberammergau in December

Thanks Treplow for the info!

In fact Garmisch and Salzburg were both on my agenda..

Would it be possible to go up the Zugspitze or thereabouts at that time of the year when in Garmisch?....and would it be extremely cold there?

Thanks

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Oberammergau in December

The Zugspitze trains run year-round. There may be some dselay in the morning if there was a strong winter storm and they have to clear the track. This, however, is very unlikely in December.

As to temperature, that's relative. For you, from Malta, temps below zero celsius may be cold, for us here in the Colorado mountains they are not. Most likely, it will be above freezing during the day in Garmisch, below freezing on top of the mountain. If the sun is out, it won't feel cold. I'm sure your friends can help you with advise.

Fgura, Malta.
4. Re: Oberammergau in December

Once again, thanks ,Treplow for your help - the main thing is that the railway would be running - as for the cold, I'm sure we shall manage !

Mons, Belgium
reviews: 2
5. Re: Oberammergau in December

I live in Oberammergau. It is a pretty village in the foothills of the Alps and worth a detour. In December there may be snow but that can not be certain. Sadly the village is not tourist freindly the roads are narrow and the locals drive with no consideration. Furthermore most of the shops close every lunchtime and Saturday Afternoon and All day Sunday. Unless you have a desparate need to visit the Passionplay house which is basically a barn with a costume museum the Towns of Mittenwald or Garmisch are probably a better places to visit and the journey there takes about the same time.

The temprature can be very variable last year some days it was minus 15 C other days plus 8C. The trip up the Zugspitz is good but in the ski season very expensive and crowded

Fgura, Malta.
6. Re: Oberammergau in December

Mountainside Biker,

Thanks for your frankness and honesty in describing Oberammergau in December. I am sure it is a lovely town worth visiting especially in summer. Both you and Treplow have helped me make up my mind - Garmisch and Mittenwald are a must, and so is Salzburg, we have to decide on Berchtesgaden (because of the longer time it takes)

Thanks once again

7. Re: Oberammergau in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 03, 2009