We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden in winter

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasig, Philippines
reviews: 34
Berchtesgaden in winter

Hi, we will be in Salzburg Feb 2013 and I was thinking of taking a trip to Berchtesgaden to see the Eagle's Nest, only to find out that it is closed during winter. Are there other things to see and do in Berchtesgaden at that time of the year? I'm a bit of a history buff, by the way.

Byen
1. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

The Dokumentation Obersalzberg will be open www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html…

The town itself is worth a visit, there are a salt mine in the outskirts and there is the Hofbräuhaus Berchtesgaden if you like your beer. And of course the wonderful nature, for instance Königssee.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

The Koenigsee may be frozen over, but nearby is the gondola lift to the top of the Jenner. The Salt Mine is also fun to visit.

Pasig, Philippines
reviews: 34
3. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

Thank you both...

Graz, Austria
4. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

A question actually, I'm hoping to go myself to the Eagles Nest in February, I know that its closed, but is it possible to take a hike up the road and take a look at it from the outside and see the views?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

The road won't be cleared. And the road does not lead directly to the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus). The final 124 altitude meters are by a lift inside the mountain.

You cannot just hike on a road with 50 or 100 cm more or less soft snow on it. And no idea how challenging the final meters rock climbing are with snow.

Graz, Austria
6. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated.

By any chance would you know of any snow shoeing/lowland hikes operating in the Berchtesgaden/Obersalzburg/Berghof region in Winter that might take in the mountain scenery in winter. Alternatively any cable car operations?

As above I'm particularly interested in the history of the area.

Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

Jenner cable car

http://www.jennerbahn.de/de/englisch/

Lake Königssee boats operate also in Winter. It's very unlikely that the lake will freeze over this winter. Stunning scenery.

http://www.seenschifffahrt.de/en/koenigssee/

> By any chance would you know of any snow shoeing/lowland hikes operating

Does exist. This information is however only on the German language pages

www.berchtesgadener-land.info/index.cfm…

Documentation center Obersalzberg is also open in winter.

www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html…

The older history of this area is mainly dominated by the "white gold" (salt)

http://www.salzzeitreise.de/?L=1

Graz, Austria
8. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated :)

Maidstone
reviews: 13
9. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

We've just been for my husband to do the ride on a bobsleigh at Konigssee. He says it is an excellent thing to do. It was 90 euro with a company called Rennbob-taxi. A qualified bobsleigh pilot takes you down the worldcup track at 120km/hr and you get a medal and a certificate to say you've done it. The track is right next to the lake opposite where you get the boat.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
reviews: 66
10. Re: Berchtesgaden in winter

We enjoyed a boat ride on Lake Konigssee in winter a few years ago. It was beautiful!

We also took a tour in a minivan that took us to the salt mines and then to the top and then let us spend some time up there. There was a ton of snow and it was gorgeous!

Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden