We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Which Berchtesgaden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menasha WI
reviews: 1
Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Our family, (children 21,19 &17) have a tentatvie plan of driving from Munich to the Black Forest, (stay in Triberg) down to Neuschwanstein, Zugspitze, (stay in Ehrwald) and then over to an area south of Salzburg, in the Berchtesgaden area fro two days.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or ideas/tours anyone would share with us for this trip. We are hoping to see the Triberg Falls, Neuschwanstein Castle, up the Zugspitze and hike around Lake Konigssee, and the Salt mines. We are going the end of March.

Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
1. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Funny that you would want to make a long drive to see the falls at Triberg, I only live 1-1.5 hours away, and have no desire to see them. They are no Niagara Falls or the falls at Yosemite, or many other smaller falls. The falls of the Rhine at Schaffhausen, Switzerland would be much more impressive. If you haven't already purchased your airline tickets, to do what you want to do, fly into Frankfurt and back from Munich on an open jaw ticket to avoid back tracking.

Make sure that your rental has winter tires.

For Neuschwanstein, make advanced reservations which must be picked up in the ticket office at least ah hour before your tour ( www.hohenschwangau.de ).

No need to go up the Zugspitze if it's a cloudy day, the inside of a cloud looks the same anywhere.

For driving on the Austrian autobahns, you will need a vignette (srticker) which are availabble at gas stations near the border, or else you are subject to large fines.

Probably the boats will still be running on the Koenigssee.

The salt mines can be accessed from either the German or Austrian side.

You don't mention Salzburg, make sure that you visit it as it should be a trip highlight. It's not very far from Berchtesgaden.

Between Salzburg or Berchtesgaden and Munich is another of Ludwig II's palaces, his version of Versailles, Herrenchiemsee, on an island of that name in the Chiemsee accessable from Prien.

There's lots of other excellent things to see and do, but that probably has already used up most of your unspecified vacation time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
2. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

I'll add that for estimates of driving times and routes, www.viamichelin.com is excellent. I find their time estimates to agree fairly well with our experiences.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
3. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

I like the BF very much, but I would never drive all the way from Munich and then back to N'stein to see the Triberg waterfall! It's a tourist trap. You'll probably find the BF towns very very quiet then. There won't be much to do. The weather in the Alps at that time of year can be nasty. It can be freezing cold at the Zugspitze in summer, after all.

What marcopolko says about winter tires (additional charges) and vignettes is correct. You'll also have parking fees, very expensive gas, and possibly winter driving conditions to contend with. I would suggest that you rethink cramming yourselves into a car and use the trains. Within Bavaria it's only 28 Euros per day for your whole family to travel around at will on the Bayern ticket (daypass for 5.) Bavaria begins only a few miles east of Frankfurt (Kahl on the Bavarian border) and you could use the trains for your whole trip there including Salzburg. There is also an excellent scenic route that takes you into Austria behind the Zugspitze from Garmisch to Reutte and on to Kempten - also INCLUDED on the Bayern ticket. Buses are included too if you need to make connections (like to Königssee)

Marcopolko's suggestion for Herrenchiemsee is a good one. I would further suggest that you look into these Bavarian towns and cities which lie between Frankfurt and Munich:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Bamberg

Nuremberg

In Garmisch (Zugspitze territory) check out a Bavarian Evening (traditional food, music, dance and beer) at the Fraundorfer Inn.

Here's a map of the Bavarian train lines - they go nearly everywhere, as you can see:

bayern-takt.de/media/PDF-Files/Netzkarten/Ne…

Baden-Wurttemberg...
4. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Yes, if it's just because of the so-called "Germany's highest waterfalls" the trip would be a waste of time. The waterfalls are rather underwhelming and Triberg itself is nothing to write home about.

Menasha WI
5. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We will rethink some of our ideas. The drive to Triberg is far, we thought the Black Forest would be worth it. We will look at your ideas. Also, thanks for the auto info, very much appreciated!

Menasha WI
6. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Thanks for your suggestions. The whole rental car has made me very nervous, I will study the train routes and see if we can coordinate those instead. Less stress and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Thanks again!

Menasha WI
7. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

Thanks----I just looked at that website. IF we rent a car, that is the mapping system we will use. Much appreciated.

8. Re: Family of five traveling in Southern Germany . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden