We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Itinerary in late August

Which Bavaria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
orlando
reviews: 26
Possible Itinerary in late August

Day 1 arrive in Amsterdam after business class overnight flight 6:30am. Pick up car drive to Frankfurt. Afternoon and evening in Frankfurt, Day 2 drive to Rothenberg spend day and night there. Day 3 drive to Hohenschwangau. Day and night there. Day 4 drive to Munich. Day and night there, Day 5 drive to Heidelberg. Day and night there. Day 6 drive back to Amsterdam. Spend day 7-9 in Amsterdam.

Too much? will this give us a taste of Germany, great scenery and history?

Thanks

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
1. Re: Possible Itinerary in late August

A lot of road time, but it works, I think. Get on the road after early breakfast, and you will get some time at each location. But do bear in mind the effects of jetlag upon arrival- personally I find it hard to drive at 2 am (in my head). I'd not try to drive straightaway as traffic around Schiphol is pretty awful at 7-8 am.

Probably 5 hrs to Frankfurt, so go breakfast and start about 9 ish?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Possible Itinerary in late August

"Too much?"

There's a reason you ask this question - the answer is clearly "yes."

"will this give us a taste of Germany, great scenery and history?"

Maybe some scenery, but mostly it will give you a taste of rental car driving. I would never encourage anyone with an interest in history and only 4-5 days in Germany to drive 1,000 km from Amsterdam to Hohenschwangau and back again, with the additional objective of exploring the nuances of traffic congestion into and out of Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam. You are zooming right past tons of history and awesome scenery much closer to the Dutch border. A small sampling:

Aachen (Charlemagne's stomping grounds)

Cologne

Xanten (Ancient Rome)

Trier (Germany's oldest city, Roman history) and the Mosel Valley (800-1,000-year-old castle, anyone?)

Middle Rhine Valley: www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Bad Sobernheim's open-air museum (400-500 years of history all in one spot):

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g494948-d1…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
3. Re: Possible Itinerary in late August

I agree with Russ. You'll be spending a lot of time in your car and driving past hundreds of excellent sights to see a distant one. For instance, Münsterland is close to Holland and there is a hundred castle route so you don't have to drive all the way to Hohenschwangau to see a palace from the late 1800s when there are centuries old ones nearby. The scenery on German autobahns isn't that great, and to minimize traffic noise you'll see grass covered berms, trees, and opaque noise barriers. If you don't travel so far, you can spend your time visiting interesting places, not sitting in your car. In and around anywhere in Germany should easily be a week or two of excellent things to see and do, if not months' worth.

orlando
reviews: 26
4. Re: Possible Itinerary in late August

Thanks so much. This is great. I think we will take your advice,

5. Re: Possible Itinerary in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014