We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Which Bavaria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 20
LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Looking at various travel possibilities for my niece and I in February 2014. I am now considering returning to the Bavarian area. I can get free air travel into Munich as well as a possibility for our trip.

When we visited in April last year we rented a car. I am looking at this as a possible itinerary this time:

Feb 20 arrive Munich (spend day/night Munich)

Feb 21 depart Munich to Salzburg, Austria (stay 2 nights, possible side trip to Halstatt)

Feb 23 depart Salzburg to Garmisch area (stay 2 nights)side trip to Mittenwald, do Zugspite)

Feb 25 depart Garmisch area to Fussen (visit Linderhof castle, side trip to Oberommergau)

Feb 26 depart Fussen to Munich for last night before flights out on Feb 27th

My main question I guess is the ease of train travel between these areas since I am not used to using train travel that much, we usually rent a car but with it being winter don't think we want to do this time, plus I want to try that european experience of train travel.

Also, we stayed in Hall of Tirol last year x 1 night by the river; what about staying in Innsbruck in a bigger city this time for maybe 2 nights and day tripping into Mittenwald/Garmisch? We have done Wieskirche, Neushwanstein/Hohenswangau,Hall, Lake Kognisee, actually have done Salzburg but my niece loved it and said she wouldn't mind going back again and we had a great stay in a lovely pension that I would be thrilled to visit again, we both really enjoyed the small town of Mittenwald and I wouldn't mind spending more time there for a day browsing/shopping, we only had lunch in Garmisch so didn't really stay there long...niece sat in car after lunch cause she was cold and I went in 1 shop. The day we visited Oberammergau it was late in the day and all was closed. I would like to return to shop for a nativity set possibly.

Anyway, then we would basically work our way back to Munich to spend the night again before our departures out of the airport again to home.

I wouldn't mind leaving Munich on our arrival day and going on to Salzburg as this would give us an extra night somewhere different than Munich or we could do Munich 2 nights at the end of our trip ????. On our previous trip we did pass through Munich one afternoon and went in 1 church and a few shops ate lunch and had to leave to drive on to Salzburg so we never really saw much here. Spending more time here could be a possibility.

I am open for suggestions. I am just so confused about what is the best thing to do for travel in february. We really just want to enjoy spending time together since she is now living in Paris and I am in North Carolina. I am looking for a more relaxed slow paced kind of trip and picture us laughing and giggling and talking and absorbing Germany street scenes, warm mugs of coffee/chocolate with sweet pasteries, good potato dishes in small cafes/restaurants and hopefully this trip some wurst hahahaha (missed that somehow last trip ;) The scattered sightseeing possibilites a plus .:)

Thanks in advance to any and ALL suggestions, possibilities or other small town scenery ideas.

Our days are limited, these are the only days she can travel.

Much appreciated,

rhonda

Edited: 1:41 pm, December 09, 2013
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
1. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

To reach Füssen or Garmisch from Salzburg, you will take a train to Munich first and change there.

Direct regional trains between Munich and Salzburg take 2 hours. Trains from Munich to Garmisch take 1.5 hours. Trains from Munich to Füssen take 2 hours. Betweeen Füssen and Garmisch, there are train (to Reutte) + bus connections to Füssen that take 1.5 hours - and bus-only connections that take 2 hours.

Seems to me you are doing too much moving and traveling around and covering too much geography for just the 7 days. I'd prefer to get an apartment to call home for a week in one spot, somewhere you could do interesting daytrips from. Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, and Munich would all be easy daytrips from a town like Prien (mid-way between Munich and Salzburg,) the home of Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee Palace with a lovely lakeside setting tucked up against the German Alps.

…arcor.de/oberpfalz-nord/…chiemsee.jpg

The train routes above can be accomplished with the Bayern ticket daypass - 26€/day for two:

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

Edited: 2:59 pm, December 09, 2013
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 100
2. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

We have been on the train route between Fuessen and Garmisch via Reutte, Austria, in winter. It was absolutely gorgeous, like something on a Christmas card, tall evergreens with lots of snow and high mountains.

Prien is a nice place, as Russ suggested. But if you do want to be moving around, I think your trip would be fine by train, with the possible exception of Halstatt. Also I would skip Innsbruck, as it's not that spectacular, in my opinion.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
3. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

"We have been on the train route between Fuessen and Garmisch via Reutte, Austria, in winter."

This route is indeed very scenic; it's known as the Ausserfernbahn and is accessible with the Bayern Ticket even though it passes through Austria. Only thing is that the train doesn't actually travel between Garmisch and Füssen; only Garmisch has a station on this line. There is a station called "Ulrichsbrücke-Füssen" on this line - but from that station, there's only a hiking trail to take you to the palaces (about 2 hours' walk.) The fastest, most conventional way to make this trip is to take the train to Reutte and then a bus to Füssen (1.5 hrs.) or vice-versa if going the opposite direction. The Reutte-Füssen bus is not covered on the Bayern ticket, to my knowledge. You can also find direct and 2-bus connections between the two towns (2+ hours, Bayern ticket works for the whole trip.)

Inchicore, Dublin...
4. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Hi,

a visit in Innsbruck is a good idea, it is a lovely small city with the "Goldenes Dachl" and a cable car onto the mountains. Worth a day trip at least. You could go to Salzburg from Munich airport directly, that saaves you one day for Innsbruck.

According to train systems: Austrian railway (ÖBB) is quite cheap and you don't need to prebook your ticket. Hence you can easily ride from Salzburg to Innsbruck by ÖBB. Then from Innsbruck to Mittenwald and Garmisch there is a very scenic railroad, when you do this on the same day, you can book both destinations on one ticket.

The train connection from Munich Airport and Salzburg is not the best, you would have to take the S-Bahn to Munich first and then continue to Salzburg. If you choose the long distance trains in Germany, it makes sense to prebook your ticket, regional trains are cheaper but the travel time will be a bit longer. Depending on your budget it might also make sense to rent a transfer or look for bus connections.

From Garmisch and Füssen back to Munich there are hardly any long distance trains, hence you can choose a ticket for regional trains, currently the Bayernticket is 25€ for two persons (in Austria only valid on some routes).

Holger

Between Garmisch and Füssen and

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
5. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Russ, thanks for the clarification. Yes, we took the bus from the Fuessen train station to Reutte, then the train on to Garmisch. You are correct that the bus between Fuessen and Reutte is not covered by the Bayern ticket.

North Carolina
6. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Oh my goodness thank you all for those opinions. We have spent 2 nights before in Fussen at Hotel Christine and from there did the castles and the day trip in the afternoon to Oberammerrgau/Wierskierche.

I'm not opposed to renting a car again if that will make things easier. I just wasn't sure about the driving this time of year (traveling late February) with the chance of bad roads. How long is the train ride from Garmiesch to Reutte? What if we did indeed rent a car, but then did a day trip via the train?

"You could go to Salzburg from Munich airport directly, that saves you one day for Innsbruck." By this do you mean, once we land in Munich, take a flight into Salzburg instead of train or driving?

Thank you all,

rhonda

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
7. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

The train ride from Garmisch to Reutte is 55 minutes long. Then from Reutte to Fuessen you take bus 74. According to the German rail site www.bahn.com, in English, it takes about 1 hr 30 minutes total from Garmisch to Fuessen, via Reutte. You don't need to make reservations and can buy the Bayern or Bavaria ticket the same day you travel. You would have to pay the small amount for the bus between Reutte and Fuessen.

Perhaps the other poster meant you could take the train from Munich airport to Salzburg (changing trains at Munich Ost). That would take about 2 hrs 35 minutes total.

Edited: 9:00 pm, December 11, 2013
North Carolina
8. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

Info. Much appreciated, rhonda

9. Re: LONG question about train travel/itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 14, 2014