We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Week Itinerary in October

Which Bavaria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
reviews: 30
2 Week Itinerary in October

Hi,

I'm visiting Bavaria for 2 -2.5 weeks in October this year. I will be travelling solo as a male in my mid 30's.

My plan is to fly into Munich and from there spread my wings outwards to see the countryside, sights of Bavaria and also stay somewhere for a while away from the tourist traps. My departure airport is not decided upon and will depend upon my eventual itinerary as to whether it is open jawed or whether I depart from Munich again.

I would like to take in some hiking or mountain biking in the Alps as I like activity. Any travelling I do outside of Munich will be with public transport. I speak a little German - extremely basic, i will be concentrating on this once I start getting my itinerary and accommodation resolved.

I have very sketchy plans at the minute, but for Munich, so far I've only got the following things planned:

1. First thing is to get a walking/cyclying/segway tour of the city to see all the hotspots and to get my bearings of the place. Recommendations?

1. Beer Gardens, preferably non touristy. Again any recommendations?

2. BMW Museum (What is the BMW Welt?)

Outside of Munich, I would to visit/do the following:

1. The Eagles Nest (I have read that the history tour is necessary to get the most from this destinition, correct?)

2. Hiking in Alps

3. Mountain Biking or cycling along cycle routes/paths etc.

4. When I'm near the Eagles nest, is Salzburg a worthy destinition.

5. Castles? I appreciate that Neuschwanstein Castle is overrun with tourists and you only get a 30min with no interior photography allowed - meaning it is not really all that appealing to me. Is there any other options?

6. Experience Bavaria in the same way the locals do - not the tourists.

I've visited Auswitz, so I am reluctant to visit Dachau - without meaning to be blazé is there sufficient difference between them to make this a worthwhile excursion?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 36
1. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

Salzburg is fantastic. Lots to see in the region, day trips to Berchtesgaden to visit Eagles Nest on your itinerary, also do the lake cruise and walk around Obersee. The cablecar Mt Jenner.

The fortress is great in Salzburg, there is another dramatically sited one in nearby Werfen.

We had a night in Füssen, did not do a castle tour, but took cablecar up Tegelberg and then walking trail 2 1/2 hours lovely walk, around to castle... Get the alpine scenery and the amazing setting of the castle... No tourists on that hike, they will be on the Marienbrucke when you get there, though.

Füssen has great cycling paths and beautiful lakes to walk or cycle around. Most tourists do a day trip from Munich, so the early train is crowded, as are the buses to the town. And the groups waiting for tours. If you stayed overnight and did some outdoor activities you will find it quite a different experience, it's a really lovely place.

Mittenwald is a gorgeous small town with mountains, forests, cablecar, walking trails, lots of German tourists enjoying the outdoors, fewer non European tourists than the other more well known places we visited.

Don't be put off by presence of tourists, it usually means a fantastic destination with great facilities and transport options and you are going in the non peak season anyway.

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
2. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

Hi,

Within Munich, definitely check out the Englischer Garten. It's a huge city park with plenty of walking paths / bicycling, small lakes, and several beer gardens. You can even check out people surfing on a standing wave where the Eisbach river enters the park at the south end.

http://youtu.be/LTTct6xBIc8

You will find little places with outdoor tables that sell beer throughout the city. I just pulled up a table at one on Marienplatz and watched the world go by as I wrote postcards for an hour or so. There was another just outside Munich's iconic Frauenkirche.

For me, another very interesting place to visit was the open air food market, Viktualienmarkt. They had everything imaginable for sale and it was just great to wander through and see what was available.

BMW Welt (BMW World) is the showroom complex (huge) where new BMW owners take possession of their new BMW on the European delivery program. The architecturally stunning complex has displays of their current models, racing cars, engineering models, shops, and much more. It and the BMW museum are well worth the effort. I was there on a Sunday and, as I recall, the factory wasn't running. Otherwise, you can sign up for factory tours as well.

http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/

I agree that the fortress above Salzburg, Hohensalzburg, is definitely worth a visit and was, to me, much more interesting than Neuschwanstein.

When I travel solo, I just wander off the beaten path onto the side streets and it doesn't take long until you're away from the tourist hoards. Also, don't be afraid to engage the locals and ask them for guidance or recommendations. English is widely spoken in Germany, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
3. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

Hi funkey_monkey_71,

One of my favorite bike rides is from Garmisch to Murnau, along the Loisach river by Farchant, Oberau, Eschenlohe, and the Murnau Moos; coming back I go by Grafenaschau and the Seven Springs Trail. However, this is flat and is only about 40 miles, so you may want something more challenging. If you don't want to go that far, the bit from Garmisch to Eschenlohe is 20 miles round-trip, and the Oberau part is as pretty as a park.

Do you want to hike UP the mountain? Or take a cable car up and hike ACROSS the mountains? Or take a cable car up and hike DOWN the mountain? In any case, I recommend either Mittenwald or Garmisch for this -- lots of mountains, lots of cable cars, lots of choices.

You'll likely only see German-speakers while hiking or biking in the Garmisch area -- though they may well be tourists, you'd never know it.

s

Freising, Germany
4. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

I totally agree with ozzie, best to discover Neuschwanstein is the way down from Tegelberg. I plan this one since years, but as it is when you live near: you always think about and never do it...

Maybe we can do this together. If you´re interested, just e-mail me.

Some more tips:

Herzogstand is very nice, you can go up or use the cablecar. It´s a really great view to Kochelsee and Walchensee from there. Also you can pass the grade to Heimgarten.

Another nice place is around Spitzingsee.

Away from the masses you could also have a look to Bayrischer Wald: http://en.bayerischer-wald.de/

Belfast
5. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

English Garden now added to itinerary. How much time is needed for this place?

How much time is necessary for BMW World and BMW Museum?

Freising, Germany
6. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

How many time you stay in English Garden is up to you. Overall it´s 5 km long with many ways to walk. In general, the park is split in two parts by a road. The southern part is more for activity, while the northern part is more quite to relax.

I think, in combination with a rest in one of the beergardens (Chinesischer Turm in the southern part or Aumeister in the very northern corner) you should plan with 3 hours.

San Diego...
7. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

If you'll be in southern Germany in early October, you might visit the less-touristy Oktoberfest and Cannstatt Beer festival /Cannstatter Volkesfest in Neckar Park, Stuttgart from 27 September until 13 October 2013:

stuttgart-tourist.de/en/search-book/e-stuttg…

You need to book a table or go quite early (before 17:00 on weekdays and at noon on weekends) if you want to find a spot in the tents.  Avoid Wednesdays because they're "Family Days" with lots of kids.

www.cannstatter-volksfest.de/index.php…

I read this review of Stuttgart's festivities: "Second only to Oktoberfest in Munich. Unlike the Oktoberfest in München, which is full of Brits, Americans, and Aussies, this one has real Germans who are there to enjoy some food, music, and Gemütlichkeit."

As always, one of my biggest complaints is that they allow people to smoke in the Oktoberfest tents and I'm allergic to smoke. Hopefully they've wised up and designated non-smoking tents too.

Freising, Germany
8. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

[As always, one of my biggest complaints is that they allow people to smoke in the Oktoberfest tents and I'm allergic to smoke. Hopefully they've wised up and designated non-smoking tents too.]

The law has changed: since 2011 smoking is forbidden in the tents. Smokers have to leave the tent or use special areas outside.

Belfast
9. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

Thanks - I'll look into the Stuttgart festival.

Belfast
10. Re: 2 Week Itinerary in October

Back again. I would like to see possibly Rothenburg. Is it a day trip from Munich or a overnight trip?

Likewise, is Nuremburg the same - day trip?

Just reading on Mt. Tegelberg. How long would it take to hike up and down for a fit person? I think I would regret not seeing Neuschwanstein so will probably end up putting it in my itinerary - even if I do not opt for a tour inside. Again is this a day trip?

Thanks.