We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Road from Ulm?

Which Ulm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 28
Romantic Road from Ulm?

I am planning a weekend stay in Ulm in late September and will be traveling by train. Is is possible to take a one-day trip on the Romantic Road either by train or bus from Ulm? Thanks for any help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
1. Re: Romantic Road from Ulm?

It's kind of hard taking the train for the Romantic Road (note that the road itself isn't romantic, but some places along it can be described that way) as it is a road and not a railroad, and the train tracks tend to cross it at right angles rather than running along it. Although in Baden-Wuerttemberg ( www.baden-wuerttemberg.de ; www.tourismus-bw.de ; www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), Ulm is also a station from which you can use a Bavaria day train ticket (20€ single, 29€ for a group of 2-5) to access anywhere in this German state. So you should be able to visit some places that are along the road inexpensively in a day. For train information go to www.bahn.de and change to English near the top of the page, and if using the Bavaria ticket click on "use only local transportation".

Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) sits on the border of the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ), mountains with lots of castles and caves and excellent cliffside scenery; and Upper Swabia ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de ) which has Germany's most beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries and is home to the Baroque Road ( www.barockstrasse.org only in German). These are my two favorite areas of Germany. Perhaps use a Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket and visit the excellent castle/palace at Sigmaringen ( www.hohenzollern.com ), and then continue on through the idyllic gorge of the Danube River through the Alb ( www.donaubergland.de only in German) with lots of castles and palaces perched atop the cliffs to Tuttlingen and return. Just a lovely scenic trip.

For those German only websites, your browser should have a translate facility.

Los Angeles
reviews: 28
2. Re: Romantic Road from Ulm?

Thank you, marcopolko, for your quick and so complete a response. You gave me so much information that I might decide to stay a bit longer to take in what you listed. I appreciate all that you provided. Thanks again.

3. Re: Romantic Road from Ulm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Ulm