We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 17
Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

Hello

We are attending the Ambiente in Frankfurt and are then extending our trip to Paris for pleasure. Before we jump from one big city to another, we thought it may be relaxing to go to Stuttgart for a couple of days. We arrive in Frankfurt on Thursday, leave on Monday and then leave for Paris on Wednesday around noon.

Questions:

1.) Does this make sense? I know we could use the two days in Paris, but the other travellers in my party are not so keen on Paris and I am trying to be democratic here:)

2.) Is Stuttgart our most logical choice from Frankfurt? We have been to and loved Munich in the past and are looking for a similar experience, perhaps one of an even smaller place.

3.) If this DOES make sense. What should we do other than visit the MB museum?

4.) We would enjoy the ballet, how and where can we find out some information on that (Went through 6 pages on this forum to no avail, so sorry if I am asking something that has been dealt with many times before:)

5.) I love to cook and bake- are there any specific cookware or bakers shops that I can find in Stuttgart? A large farmers market?

Thank you in advance!

Dublin
reviews: 9
1. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

Strasbourg would be a good choice of smaller city between Frankfurt and Paris, for its cathedral, architecture and cuisine, and because its centre is very walkable.

Stuttgart is a big busy city - it is certainly worth visiting, but perhaps not what are looking for this time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
2. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

For things to see and do in Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 which will give you weeks' worth of excellent things to see and do.

The opera house is Europe's largest three part venue (opera, ballet and theater). I definitely recommend a tour of it although it may be only in German. It's interesting to visit backstage and also watch scenery and costumes being made. Information on ballet performances can be found at http://www.stuttgart-ballet.de/schedule/ .

Outdoor markets are held Tues, Thurs, Sat on Schillerplatz and Marktplatz in central Stuttgart. Nearby is the Markthalle which is open every day except Sunday which sells gourmet food from throughout the world and shouldn't be missed. In the basement, on the same floor and upstairs is Merz & Benzing (as my wife would say a life-style el dorado) which has excellent interesting (expensive) household items. Tritschler on the NW corner of the Marktplatz has several floors of cookware and household goods. A nice souvenir of this part of Germany are the Viertel (quarter liter) wine glasses that have etched white clear glass bodies with usually green handels which come in a great variety in cost and etching.

I wouldn't call Stuttgart a big busy city having lived there for over eight years, the center of it is a pedestrianized area and there are only a few streets that have significant traffic which can easily be avoided. In fact, you can walk from the New Palace in the center of Stuttgart through the palace grounds park to the neckar River and zoo without ever crossing a street at street level, and on to the Killesberg Park ridgeline again without crossing a street at street level for 5-6 miles. It is the greenest city in Europe having the largest percentage of green areas such as parks and vineyards, and it is a joy to walk about the steep hillsides of the valley on the hundreds of stairways past small fountains and through quiet small parks with scenic panoramic views over the city, and perhaps past some vineyards.

The French TGV train has direct trains to Paris from Stuttgart.

Edited: 12:27 pm, January 19, 2014
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
3. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

" Before we jump from one big city to another, we thought it may be relaxing to go to Stuttgart for a couple of days...Is Stuttgart our most logical choice from Frankfurt?"

After Frankfurt, you might find somewhere less urban and modern than Stuttgart, which was 70% destroyed in WW II. More "relaxing" for most folks might mean some time on the Mosel River - maybe in an old-world town like Cochem, or Trier.

Cochem: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…_Markt.JPG

Trier: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Hauptm…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
4. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

You might find Speyer relaxing (parks are on the Rhine, cozy old town), Freiburg (edge of Black Forest), Heidelberg (you can take a river cruise, and hikes in the Odenwald, just above the castle), or perhaps a spa type place, In that case, you might like Baden-Baden, which is relaxing.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 17
5. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

Thank you so much for all these wonderful suggestions! Many thanks :)

6. Re: Frankfurt to Paris with 2 days in the middle!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 22, 2015