We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guided tours or day trip

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iloilo
reviews: 1
guided tours or day trip

I'm looking for any guided tours or group tours for day trips to tubengin/bebenhauzen or hohenzollern - are there any in Stuttgart that offers these? Or do people here just go on their own by car or by train and public transport? I was hoping to find something like those being offered in Munich.

Ching

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
1. Re: guided tours or day trip

If there any such trips, they probably will be only in German. It's easy enough to reach all those places by car in less than an hour. By public transportation Tuebingen is simple, just take a regional train there, or it's possible to get there from the Stuttgart Airport by bus which also goes via Bebenhausen Monastery. Of course there are buses from Tuebingen to Bebenhausen which sits a few kilometers away toward Stuttgart. Hohenzollern castle is more difficult by public transportation(probably a train change in Tuebingen) as you can easily get to Hechingen by train, but there are only a few buses a day between there and the castle which sits a few kilometers away, and you'd probably have to take an inexpensive taxi in one or both directions.

By car, you just head south on Hwy 27 from Stuttgart which will be a freeway most of the way. If you are interested in driving, just mention it, and I'll give you an enjoyable non-freeway route that has a few other things to do along the way.

A Metropolticket is the cheapest way for doing these places by public transportation as it covers buses, trams, U-bahns, S.bahns and regional trains in these places, and it may also give you some discounts. www.bahn.com will have train information. Just click on the > to the left of your options for further details.

Munich is a place overrun by foreign and American tourists so that they can offer English language bus trips. For most other places in Germany, these trips are not offered.

Iloilo
2. Re: guided tours or day trip

Dear Marcopolko,

Can you suggest what i should do? I will arrive in Stuttgart on May 27 from Munich, would just doa little shopping and sightseeing around town, the next day I would like to do Tuebingen and bebenhausen, would it be possible to do the benz museum in the morning and then go to tuebingen after? How about the next day? Should Igo to ludwigsburg or hohenzollern?

Please help, I'm at a lost here.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
3. Re: guided tours or day trip

For sight-seeing around central Stuttgart, go to the tourist information office across from the train station and purchase for 0.50€ the map that has a 1-3 hour suggested walk about the sights of central Stuttgart that describes them and their architecture. On Mondays (27May), the Mercedes Benz Museum is closed. Because you want to do some shopping, Metzingen ( www.metzingen.de ) has the most factory outlets in Germany, you might want to shop there. It is on the way by train to Tuebingen. You could combine that with visiting Tuebingen and Bebenhausen Monastery. Otherwise, if you don't stop there to shop, it might be possible to combine your visit to Tuebingen with a trip to Hohenzollern Castle as you'll have to transfer there anyway to get to it. Just make sure that you'll have time to ENJOY whatever you choose to do. Combining too many things will result in a rushed hectic day. The Metropolticket probably will be your most economical way of doing this, and it also covers the local transportation in Stuttgart.

The other day, visit the Mercedes Benz Museum in the morning, then in the early afternoon take the train to Ludwigsburg and visit the palace there. Just give yourself enough time to make the tour. (Note that palace tours in English are usually given once a day early in the afternoon, www.schloesser-magazin.de/en should have the details if you click on palaces, then on Ludwigsburg.) For this day you will need a 3-zone VVS ( www.vvs.de ) day ticket, a group one if there are more than one of you.

Iloilo
4. Re: guided tours or day trip

Marcopolko,

Need some clarification, if we would like to combine tuebingen. Bebenhausen and outlet shopping what would you suggest I do first? Could you also suggest the earliest time we should start the trip?

Sorry for asking too many question, as all in my group would be asking me for many infos.

Ching

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
5. Re: guided tours or day trip

If you use a Metropol ticket, you cannot begin traveling before 9AM on a weekday. (A group ticket can be purchased for up to five people on one ticket.) I would visit Tuebingen and Bebenhausen first, and then later Metzingen, as I believe that the stores are open in the evening (check on www.metzingen.de ) and also you won't have to worry about carrying or storing what you have bought. You should have sufficient time to do all of this. The Stuttgart tourist information office should have information on all of these places, so get the free booklets on them before your trip so that you can find your way about using their maps.

Iloilo
6. Re: guided tours or day trip

marcopolko,

hubby has decided that he be renting a minivan for us and drive himself - is it advisable and easier for us to rent a car? from Stuttgart to Tuebingen visit to bebenhausen monastery and go to hohenzollern castle, is this easier with a car?

How about next day visiting Benz Museum and tour Ludwigsburg palace? by car or public transport?

Ching

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
7. Re: guided tours or day trip

For the first, a car is best. Take Hwy 27 south from Stuttgart to Hechingen first. Hohenzollern Castle is just on the other side of it off of the highway. After your visit, return to Tuebingen and visit the old town. Then drive to Bebenhausen Monastery. After visiting it, continue on in the same direction to Waldenbuch. It has a nice museum of everyday life in the palace which you won't have time for, but the Ritter SPORT chocolate factory is off to your left. They have a small museum on chocolate manufacture, a larger museum on art in the form of squares (their candy bar shape), and a large sales room at discounted prices. Continue on then to Echterdingen where you can get on the B27 freeway to Stuttgart.

The second day, I would use a 3-zone group ticket for public transportation. If you think that you will stay in the automobile museum longer, than drive. Just take Hwy27 north to Ludwigsburg, which will pass along the west edge of the palace. Turn at the corner before it to the right, and then just after the gardens to the left where you should be able to find a parking place. There is an entrance down this road. Besides the excellent palace tour, there is several days' worth of things to see. I recommend the fashion museum which has lots of clothes from the 1700s, and also the gardens including the Fairytale Garden.

By public transportation, when you leave the train station in Ludwigsburg, the buses are to the right, otherwise it's a 20 minute walk to the palace. These buses are included on your group ticket. Oh, at the gardens bus stop, go down that same road as if driving and parking, otherwise its a several times longer walk through the gardens and you'll end up at the same place.

Iloilo
8. Re: guided tours or day trip

Marcopolko,

Thank you so much.

Ching

Gold Bar, Washington
reviews: 120
9. Re: guided tours or day trip

I didn't know about Metzingen and was planing on going to ritter sport but the shopping outlet has both Lindt and Milka on our next trip to Stuttgart for springfest, Driving from Esslingen to Tuebingen and Bebenhausen Monastery and then Metzingen( open till 8 pm) about 2 hrs driving time.? Does this allow enough time in Tuebingen and Bebenhausen Monastery (not Schloß )

I was thinking 8:30 1 hr to Tuebingen 4 1/2 hours lunch 2 pm Bebenhausen Monastery 3 hours? then Metzingen for chocolate.

Does this sound okay and enough time at each place?

We are going to see several castles and palaces on this trip and skipping the Bebenhausen Schloß (guided tours only in german at the top of hour) looks like we should have more time at the Monastery and get audio guide.

Will we be missing much by skipping castle?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
10. Re: guided tours or day trip

Your amount of time spent at places seems reasonable. I don't think that I've ever spent 3 hours at one time at Bebenhausen Monastery, but have visited it probably at least ten different times as we love to stop by for a short time going from Stuttgart to Tuebingen and back. I've never visited the palace there. Oftentimes we just walk around the monastery grounds and around the walls outside of the monastery, and usually only visit the nice interior if we are taking guests there. Make sure to notice the cute birdhouse shaped in the form of the monastery on the south wall of the monastery by the herb garden. 1-2 hours should be sufficient for a visit.

To get to Metzingen won't take long from Tuebingen or Bebenhausen. Just take the freeway from Tuebingen to Reutlingen which has now been extended to Metzingen. The outlet shops are scattered about town, not all in one location, so use the www.metzingen.de website for knowing where the ones that you are interested in are located. The Stuttgart tourist information office may also have a booklet on Metzingen with a map showing the stores.

In Tuebingen eat at Die Forelle Weinstube which is one street to the east of the square in front of the Rathaus, by far the best restaurant in Tuebingen itself, and no more expensive than others. Having a map of Tuebingen will assist you. The oldtown lies between the Neckar River and the Amer River, and there is a small Amer canal just before the latter river. See if you can spot the plaque for the house that Alzheimer (of the disease fame) lived in. It's possible to take boat rides on the large poled boats on the Neckar, but I doubt if they will let you rent one to do it yourself, they wouldn't with me.