We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 3
stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

i want to take my mum for a weekend away in December but cant decide where to take her to get a real christmassy feeling and a relaxing time away. If anyone can advise me on the best markets and area to go to, i would really appreciate it. Also a good hotel/b and b that is walking distance to the markets?

thank you

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
1. Re: stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

We visited both cities in Advent Season in 2009 to see the Christmas Markets. Both were enjoyable to us. If you can get better connections to one over the other, I would take the better connections.

In Stuttgart we stayed at the City Hotel recommended by Marco Polo, who often posts in the Stuttgart board. It is handy to the market and the city. It is a bit uphill and might be tricky footing on wet days.

http://www.cityhotel-stuttgart.de/

The Christmas Market is spread throughout the pedestrian zone. You can easily mix traditional shopping with the market. Have Swedish salmon in the Scandanavian portion of the market. A few pictures:

…smugmug.com/Christmas-Markets-2009/Stuttgar…

Munich has several markets within the city.

muenchen.de/int/…Christmas_Markets.html

A Partner Day ticket on the transportation system helps get the best access to them. The main market is at Marienplatz, the town center. There are dozens of hotels within walking distance of Marienplatz but even more helpful is that several of the Underground and Sbahn lines stop there. We stayed at the Hotel Bristol, which is at Sendliner Tor, a Ubahn stop with direct connections to Marienplatz, and it is a 10 minute walk away. Plus there is a small Christmas Market right there. We made our reservations through HRS.com. We are returning there this December.

http://www.bristol-munich.de/

In addition to the main market, we enjoyed the Middle Ages market and the community market at Haidhausen. Lots of good food and beer in the area of the Marienplatz as well.

…smugmug.com/Christmas-Markets-2009/Munich-2…

You can not lose with either of these cities.

Regards, Gary

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 35
2. Re: stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) has one of Germany's largest, oldest, most visited, and most beautiful Christmas Markets ( www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de only in German) and takes up a very large contiguous part of the center of Stuttgart with 4 squares, the streets connecting them, and streets leading away from them. The setting is nice by the Old Palace, New palace and Stiftskirche (old church) and the roofs of the stalls are highly decorated, probably the best of anywhere in Germany.

15 minutes away by public transportation are another two much smaller but large themed Christmas Markets that each attrract over a million visitors: Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) Medieval & Christmas Market set in the heart of the excellent well-preserved medieval oldtown; and Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) Baroque Christmas Market set near Germany's largest perfectly preserved (all original) palace (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), called the Swabian Versailles for obvious reasons, which has several days' worth of excellent things to see including the longest and best palace tours that I've had in Europe.

So by visiting Stuttgart, you have the choice of 3 excellent large Christmas Markets that are each quite different from each other.

london
reviews: 3
3. Re: stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

thank you so muchfor all your help. so much information to help me decide. very kind of you both to take time out to reply to me. all sounds wonderful! x

4. Re: stuttgart or munich best for christmas markets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 14, 2013