We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel centrally located

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
reviews: 4
hotel centrally located

Can anyone advise me on some good medium priced hotels in Stuttgart, going beginning December for christmas markets, somewhere central?

And ideas in sight seeing? taking my 70 year old father and teenage girls.

Many thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
1. Re: hotel centrally located

I always recommend the centrally located City Hotel on a quiet street which is a less than 10 minute walk away from the Christmas Market and even much faster by the five U-bahn lines a block away.

Two other excellent nearby themed Christmas markets are Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) Medieval & Christmas Market which is set in the medieval center of the well-preserved oldtown; and the Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) Baroque Christmas Market set near Germany's largest perfectly preserved palace (in www.schloesser-magazin.de ) which has several days' worth of excellent sights including the longest and best palace tours that I've been on in Europe. Both towns are 15 minutes away from Stuttgart by S-bahn.

Stuttgart itself has many excellent museums which deal with a wide variety of subjects, including the world-class Mercedes Benz Museum which deals with the over 125 year history of this firm and the automobile. It is loved by all visitors irregardless of age, gender, or whether they particularly like cars or not. Wilhelma ( www.wilhelma.de ) is Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden set amidst the excellent Moorish architecture of this former palace.

There is also the world's largest Christmas circus ( www.weltweihnachtscircus.de ) plus many musical offerings.

Surrey
2. Re: hotel centrally located

Thank you for the info. Would you know the nearest train station to use to get to Lake Constance, and a town on the lake not too far down?

Many thanks,

Tracy'

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
3. Re: hotel centrally located

Use www.bahn.com and look for the direct trains between Stuttgart and Friedrichshafen and Konstanz. Any of the destinations on the German side of the lake can be reached using a Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket, 21€ for the first rider and 4€ for each additional rider up to a total of 5. There are two restrictions with this ticket: no travel before 9AM on a weekday and no fast long distance IC, EC or ICE trains can be used. Therefore, when using this ticket check "use local transportation" and only valid transport will be shown. This ticket is valid on all buses, trams, U-bahns, S-bahns and regional trains within this German state and to a few places beyond its borders.

I personally prefer Meersburg ( www.meersburg.de ) which is the loveliest town on the lake and which has Germany's oldest castle and a lot of interesting places to visit there and very close by. It doesn't however have a train station, but there is one a few kilometers away, or it can be reached by ferry from Konstanz or bus from Friedrichshafen.

Note that Lake Constance (Bodensee) is notorious for foggy weather during the colder months of the year. Personally, if I were to venture further from Stuttgart it would be to our favorite town in Germany which is less than an hour away, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), which is quintessential Germany with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the delightful nextdoor well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). There are two events there before Christmas: Germany's largest international chocolate festival and a one weekend Christmas Market.

Surrey
4. Re: hotel centrally located

thanks again for the info, much appreciated, i like the idea of Tuebingen!

5. Re: hotel centrally located

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Stuttgart