We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ludwigsburg Schloss

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Ludwigsburg Schloss

Reading the website on the castle there seems so much to see: 2 palaces as well as the museums. Different admission prices, depending on what you want to see. Can someone please tell me how I can get the best experience? Suppose I had all day, and if I only had half a day. What should I not miss? What could I leave out? How far is it between the Residence and the Favorite palace? Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
1. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

There are 3 palaces there, the main Residence, Favorite built for one of the duke's/king's mistresses, and further out Mon Repos built on a small lake. Between Favorite and Mon Repos is a deer park.

Basically, make sure that you make the main palace tour as it is simply the longest and best palace tour that i've been on in Europe, that is the English one. I've visited several of the museums and enjoy the fashion museum which has lots of clothes from the 1700s. The entrance for it is by the end of the palace tour. The Porcelain Museum is also a good one to visit, Ludwigsburg Porcelain is over 250 years old, and it also includes the chambers where the duke who started it lived.

The gardens are extensive. Don't miss the cute fairytale one where there are a few rides and interactive scenes from fairytales. I always enjoy the boat ride.

If your visit is after 31Aug, then the world's largest pumpkin exhibition will be on ( www.blueba.de ) only in German. Over 400,000 pumpkins of over 450 types will be on display including Europe's largest pumpkins and squash (if it is later than the beginning of the exhibition). There are large themed sculptures made from these vegetables, this year's theme being the sights of Switzerland. There is also food and drink (champagne) made from them, and this exhibition is part of the gardens and right next to the fairytale garden.

I definitely recommend combining a palace tour of the main palace with the gardens,l especially if the pumpkin exhibition is on (it lasts until 4Nov). I've probably visited over 8 times for most of the day, and have yet to see all that is on offer. Just select things that interest you to see and do, you'll have a great time.

Perth, Australia
2. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

I would second marcopolko about the main palace tour. The tour is extensive, but never boring, and our guide was very enthusiastic and informative - and as we came to expect spoke excellent english. You also get to see some of the servants areas to give a alternative view of what life was like in the palace.

I am not sure of the make-up of your party but the palace has a scheme where children can dress up as historical figures from the palace's history. Our local German friends who took us there had pictures of there children as ladies in waiting etc.

It is a pleasant walk to the Favorite through the parklands from the main palace and you do see deer. I seem to remeber that it was only about a 20 - 30 minute walk

The Pumpkin Exhibition was on when we visited - Sept 2011 - and that years theme was Dinosaurs - dinosaurs made of pumpkins! We didn't have time to go into the exhibition garden but what we could see looked interesting.

Slightly off-topic is that the palace is very popular for bridal photos and there were probably half a dozen bridal parties in the courtyard and even on the internal tour there were brides having photos taken inside - obviously the palace is still loved.

Pennsylvania
3. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

Thank you both for your feedback. the palace sounds wonderful. I think I will go for the Baroque Experience which includes the palaces, museums, and gardens. We will be there mid October so will get to see the pumpkin exhibition as well. Exciting! Can't wait!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

Favorite is approx. 500 m from the Residence Palace. Monrepos 2,5 km from Favorite (straight road).

http://goo.gl/maps/TZbEs

Monrepos is however still owned by the ex-royal family of Württemberg and not open to the public.

Actually there is even a 4th palace. Not close (approx. 15 km). But still was connected by a straight road (partly interrupted nowadays) with the Residence Palace. Such "gimmicks" are typical for the Baroque period.

http://goo.gl/maps/0HBH4

http://www.schloss-solitude.de

New Orleans
reviews: 16
5. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

We will have three nights in Stuttgart in early December. We want to tour this palace and visit Ludwigsberg's Christmas market. Do you think that would require pretty much a whole day? We're staying at Motel One near the train station. Thanks.

Köln
6. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

You could do the Ludwigsburg Residence and the Christmas market in less than a day, even more so since the gardens are not very interesting in the winter seasons. The Christmas market is on the Market Place which is very near the Residence. So you could easily spend the evening somewhere else, for instance in Stuttgart (approx. 15 by S-Bahn).

New Orleans
7. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

Thank you, aichberger. I'm working on our itinerary and trying to fit "everything" in!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
8. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

The palace tours in English (highly recommended) are usually only given once a day early in the afternoon. The museums there are also worth visiting, I like the fashion museum with lots of clothes from the 1700s (near end of tour) and the porcelain museum which displays their porcelain from over 250 years and also has the original chambers of the duke that founded Ludwigsburg Porcelain. The Christmas Market is on the main square between the Catholic and Protestant churches and is most interesting at night when the large angels made of lights are lit up.

New Orleans
9. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

Thank you marcopolko. The tour is at 1:30pm so we'll plan to spend the rest of the day and evening in Ludwigsburg; sounds like there is more to see than we have time for!

Iloilo
reviews: 1
10. Re: Ludwigsburg Schloss

how to reach the palace from stuttgart? Would it be easy for us to rent a car to visit the palace, hohenzollern, liechenstein?