We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hyattsville...
reviews: 1
Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

Hello, I am planning a trip to Germany to see where my family immigrated from. So far I have learned that the majority were from the Württemberg area. Places in particular were Stuttgart, Gültstein (near Harrenburg), Tübingen and it sounds like a few came from Remmingsheim and Endersbach (near Waiblingen). I am struggling to find information on these towns. My key questions are: are all of these towns close to one another? Are they small enough for a day visit? I have 4-6 days planned to see this part of Germany. Is that enough? I really do not want to drive, is there an English speaking guide that would take me around or public transportation? I am assuming Stuttgart would be home base for the day trips but am open to any suggestions. Any advice you have is appreciated.

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
1. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is the 6th largest city in Germany with a population of about 600,000 and a metropolitan area of 2.5 million. Being the birthplace of the automobile and where it is still commercialized, it has the excellent Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums. It's also possible to tour their assembly plants.

Tübingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) is a town of about 90,000 residents and 25,000 students. It is our favorite town in Germany to visit with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the nextdoor delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). It is about 50 minutes south of Stuttgart by regional train.

Gültstein has been incorporated into Herrenberg and lies a kilometer or two south of it. It's church, if not Protestant, might be worth visiting, but nothing like the nice one in Herrenberg itself. It also has a mill. Herrenberg is the terminus of the S-1 S-bahn SW of Stuttgart, and it lies to the NW of Tuebingen to which it is connected by regional trains.

Remmingsheim has been incorporated into Neustetten and lies directly south of Herrenberg about 12 km. It is WSW of Tuebingen.

Endersbach has been incorporated into Weinstadt on the S-2 line to Schorndorf going east from Stuttgart and of course is in a vineyard area.

www.bahn.com will have information on how to reach all of these places from Stuttgart by public transportation. I only foresee one difficulty, and that is for Remmingsheim.

Stuttgart would be a good base for doing these trips. The local Stuttgart transportation network VVS ( www.vvs.de ) can also be used for planning trips to at least Endersbach and Herrenberg. The Metropolticket will be best for a trip to Tuebingen, which could also be combined with Herrenberg and Remmingsheim as they all are in the same direction and fairly close to each other.

Other things to see in the area are Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) which has an excellent well-preserved medieval center; Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) which has Germany's largest perfectly preserved palace (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), called for obvious reasons the "Swabian Versailles", with several days' worth of excellent sights including the longest (1.5-2+ hours) and best palace tours that I've been on in Europe.

Make sure to visit the tourist office across from the train station and pay 0.50€ for a map that has a nice 1-3 hour walking tour of central Stuttgart. There are also many other excellent museums besides the car ones; the world's first modern TV tower has an observation deck; the mineral waters are western Europe's most abundant and there are 3 large associated mineral baths; Wilhelma ( www.wilhelma.de ) is Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden set amidst the nice Moorish architecture of this former palace; you can take pleasant walks through the vineyards with wineries and places to eat along the way ( www.stuttgarter-weinwanderweg.de only in German); the ballet is world-renown and the opera house Germany's most honored one; etc.

Any town such as Herrenberg at the end of a S-bahn line is worth a visit of a few hours. Other of the better towns are Weil der Stadt, birthplace of the astronomer/mathematician Kepler; Marbach birthplace of the poet Schiller; and Schorndorf of the automobile inventor Daimler. All have museums dedicated to their favorite sons.

South of Tuebingen by Hechingen is a fairytale-like castle, Burg Hohenzollern ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ).

North of Stuttgart along the Neckar River is Besigheim ( www.besigheim.de ) which was recently voted Germany's most picturesque wine place.

For further information on your ancestor's towns and villages, do a search using www.PLACENAME.de, and substitute the actual place name, probably the larger town into which the village has been incorporated. Results will probably be in German, so use your computer browser's translation facility.

You also don't mention when you will be visiting. Perhaps Stuttgart will be having one of its excellent very large events.

Hyattsville...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

Thank you so much! We are traveling in August, best for time off from work. If I had a different job, I would come in Nov/Dec to see the Christmas Markets. : )

Pennsylvania
3. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

I am also visiting the Stuttgart area to look into family origins, but I will be looking at Kirchheim u teck. I was wondering if I stay there, would there be a better way to get to Tubingen without having to go to Stuttgart first? A bus, perhaps? Also, another day I would like to visit Ludwigsburg. I guess the train would be best for that, correct? would the VVS ticket be my best bet? Also, what is the best way to get from the railstation in Stuttgart to Kirchheim? Thank you so much!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

> Also, what is the best way to get from the railstation in Stuttgart to Kirchheim?

Kirchheim unter Teck is the end station of the S-Bahn line S1. Thus you change in Stuttgart to the S1.

www.vvs.de/download/Verbund_Schienennetz.pdf

> I guess the train would be best for that, correct?

Sure. See the above map. Between Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg you can also use regional trains. Two highlights are however closer and directly served by the S1: Esslingen and the Mercedes-Benz Museum (Neckarpark).

Day ticket for the whole VVS network is EUR 13,80. Mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket is EUR 17,90.

> would there be a better way to get to Tubingen without having to go to Stuttgart first?

It would be strange to go via Stuttgart. S1 to Wendlingen and change there for a regional train to Tübingen.

One way ticket is EUR 9,10. You can also use a MetropolTicket which is EUR 18,50 for 1 person (EUR 22,50 for 2 persons). This day ticket covers also the buses in Tübingen. It is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

www.metropolticket.de/die-metropolregion/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
5. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

I'll add that between Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg that besides regional trains, this route is served by the S-4 and S-5 S-bahns. A VVS day ticket, a Metropol ticket, or a Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket will also include the buses from the train station to the palace, although it's not too long of a walk. The buses are to the right when you exit the station.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
6. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

The Stuttgarter Weindorf (Wine Village), probably Germany's most attended wine event, is from 22Aug to 2Sept this year ( www.stuttgarter-weindorf.de )

The elegant Stuttgarter Sommerfest is from 2-5August ( www.stuttgarter-sommerfest.de )

The world's largest pumpkin exhibition is in the gardens of the palace in Ludwigsburg ( www.blueba.de ), from 31Aug to 4Nov. Over 400,000 pumpkins of over 450 varieties will be on display, there are large themed sculptures made from them- this year's theme being the sights of Switzerland, unfortunately Europe's largest pumpkins and squash will not have arrived yet in August, and there is food and drink (pumpkin champagne) made from them. A wonderful day when coupled with the excellent tour of the palace.

There are many other smaller events in and around Stuttgart at this time, but exact dates and the type of event would be necessary.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 64
7. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

I just did this type of trip in September. Only I traveled to the northwest part of Germany (Haselünne, Dinklage, and Meppen). One thing that helped me tremendously was getting in contact with Haselünne's Heimatverein (it's like their local history museum/club/society). I can't begin to describe how helpful they were to me as I researched my family and the town. Perhaps the towns and cities you're researching have a Heimatverein that can help you.

Google is your friend. I actually found an incredible document simply by googling my great great grandfather's name and Haselünne.

The more time you put into this, the more you'll find. But it can take a lot of effort and hours. By the time I finally arrived in Haselünne, I felt like I already "knew" it because of all the help of the members of the Heimatverein and the research I had done.

Have a wonderful time on your trip. It's an incredible experience to literally walk where your ancestors were born and raised.

Ludwigsburg
8. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

@hrk2

Maybe I could help you planning your trip and take you around. Just let me know.

@pennstatemom:

For Ludwigsburg I could give you a tour in English.

If you need any help or information for your trip, just let me know. By the way: I don't do this for my living.

Bye Andy

Pennsylvania
9. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

Just saw your reply. Thank you for the offer. I'm not sure yet if we will be taking the visit to Ludwigsburg on our own or if the people I am visiting will be going with us. I will keep you in mind though. Appreciate it.

Pennsylvania
10. Re: Visiting Stuttgart to see family origins: Advice needed

When I posted about travel around Stuttgart in April I was just gathering ideas. Now as my trip is getting closer, I need to fine tune my plans. Can you please explain to me the difference between a VVS day ticket and a Metropolticket? Here is what I am thinking of doing: travelling from Kirchheim unter Teck to Tubingen and if time, perhaps also Hohenzollern Castle. Another day, travelling from Kirchheim to Ludwigsburg. I know (from earlier posts)that I can take the Sbahns and regional trains and buses to get where I want to go, I just need to know which ticket would be best for what I want to accomplish. Thanks so much!