We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and Rental Car Questions

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
reviews: 88
Train and Rental Car Questions

Stuttgart experts: I will be arriving from the US into Stuttgart about 8am (on a Saturday). We are staying one night at the Kronen Hotel and I'm not sure if I should take a taxi there or try the train. If there are not too many transfers to get to the hotel then I'd like to try the train, otherwise, with luggage and being tired, I'm tempted to just take a taxi. Can you give me logistics on the train option with specific directions?

Second question. We will be starting a road trip the next day heading down to Meersburg first and then along the alpine way. Is there a rental car agency near the Kronen Hotel for our car pickup or do I have to go back to the airport? If I go back to the airport for the car, is it better to just get the car our first day in and park at our hotel?

Danke

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Train and Rental Car Questions

S-Bahn train from the airport to Stuttgart Haupbahnhof (main train station). Both S-Bahn lines S2 and S3 serving the airport go there. Enter the train at the rear end. Than it's a shorter walk to walk at Hauptbahnhof to the rear end of the S-Bahn platform. If you exit the (underground) station there you're already at the Kronenstraße. Your hotel is at the end of the Kronenstraße (towards the hills). Approx. 400 meters.

Single ticket S-Bahn is EUR 3,50.

S-Bahn network map

www.vvs.de/download/SBahn_Liniennetz.pdf

map Stuttgart city center

http://www.vvs.de/download/Innenstadt.pdf

detailed map Hauptbahnhof

www2.vvs.de/Download/Envmaps/vvs/uHbf.pdf

You can pick up rental cars at the Hauptbahnhof. See below link which rental companies have offices there

bahnhof.de/site/…mietwagen.html

Edited: 6:03 pm, March 01, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
2. Re: Train and Rental Car Questions

For an excellent drive to Meersburg, look at what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/…36218434 . Our favorite town in Germany, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) is at the beginning of that route, and a website for Hohenzollern Castle by Hechingen is www.burg-hohenzollern.com .

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
3. Re: Train and Rental Car Questions

For purchasing your tickets, just follow the green and white S signs to the S-bahn (in Terminals 1/2 just across from the luggage claim exit). One flight down are the ticket machines, and then further down the actual station. If you are going to do any more travel that day, a (group) day ticket may be your best buy as it will allow you to use all the buses, U-bahns, and S-bahns and some short distance regional trains. The Stuttgart tourist information office at the airport is between the baggage claims of Terminals 1/2 and 3/4. Besides their excellent free information, you can also purchase tickets for the ride into Stuttgart, and they can tell you what your best ticket options are for what you will be doing.

4. Re: Train and Rental Car Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, June 16, 2013