We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring Trains in Manheim

Which Mannheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
Transferring Trains in Manheim

Me and my friends are taking a train from Amsterdam to Munich next Sunday for Oktoberfest, but I'm a little confused about our itinerary, which I pasted below. I notice we have 6 minutes to catch our connecting train in Manheim. Since I've never been to this station, I'm a little worried that we might not find our next train in 6 minutes. Is anyone familiar with this train station? Do you have any tips on what I should look for to locate our connecting train as quickly as possible?

Thanks!

Amsterdam Centraal Mannheim Hbf

Mannheim Hbf München Hbf

Hinweise:

Datum Zeit Gleis Fahrt/Reservierung

19.09. 19.09.

19.09. 19.09.

ab 08:04 4b an 12:24 4

ab 12:30 5 an 15:33 14

ICE 105, 2 Sitzplätze, Wg. 34, Pl. 41 43, 1 Fenster, 1 Gang, Großraum, Nichtraucher

ICE 595, 2 Sitzplätze, Wg. 6, Pl. 35 37, 1 Fenster, 1 Gang, Großraum, Nichtraucher

Germany
1. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

I don't think you'll have any problems. I've transferred long-distance trains probably 20-30 times in Mannheim and it's always been the track just across from where I arrived or the same track but a few minutes later. DB says you arrive on track 4 and leave on track 5, so you should be fine.

Bahnhof/Haltestelle Date Time Track

Mannheim Hbf So, 19.09.10 an 12:24 4 (arrival)

Mannheim Hbf So, 19.09.10 ab 12:30 5 (departure)

Map here: deutschebahn.com/site/shared/de/dateianhaeng…

Pay attention to any announcements in the train, especially if your train is running late. Sometimes your connection will wait and sometimes not.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
2. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

These changes in Mannheim are always same-platform changes. 6 minutes are about 5 1/2 minutes more than you really need.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
3. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

"6 minutes are about 5 1/2 minutes more than you really need."

This is true for just going from one train to another. But for your seat reservations, you should check the diagram of your particular train on the platform so you can quickly find the correct train car for your seat. The nearest letters to this car on the platform will be indicated, but you still should have plenty of time for the change.

To give you the most time for this change, be at the train door with your luggage before arrival at the Mannheim station so you can be one of the first to exit the train.

Edited: 10:45 am, September 08, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

Thanks guys! Exactly the info I was looking for.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

> you can quickly find the correct train car for your seat.

ICE 105 is an ICE-3M train. First car in driving direction into Mannheim Hbf is car #31.

ICE 595 is an ICE-1 train. This train has the same driving direction arriving at the platform than ICE 105. First car is #1.

Thus car #34 of ICE 105 will stop not that far from the car #6 of ICE 595. You will have to walk 2 car lengths (~ 26,4 m each) against driving direction. At least as far the theory goes. You have to check this with the reality, i.e. the car numbers shown at the train. Sometimes it can e.g. happen that a trains runs in reverse order.

6. Re: Transferring Trains in Manheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, March 08, 2011