We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Which Freiburg im Breisgau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 55
Need guidance on umwelt stickers

We are doing a road trip through the Black Forest and Austria this summer and then through Italy.

I know I need to obtain a IDP to go with my 'old' driving licence and I know I need to get a vignette before entering Austria (which I believe I can do on route) but I am struggling finding out about vignette for Germany.

I have read I would need one for certain towns and found a list and looks like Freiburg is on that list.

So, finally, my question is can I buy an umwelt sticker just before entering Freiburg or can I park just outside Frieburg?

We are staying in Rust for four nights and hoping to visit Titisee, Triburg, other places of interest from driving round and 'dropping' on somewhere pretty, and Lake Constance on the way to Fussen.

I am worried that we might enter a zone without being aware we need a sticker.

10 replies to this topic
Kelkheim (Taunus...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

You can buy them at any petrol station in Germany. It will cost € 10 and you need your motor vehicle registration certificate

Seems as if you can also purchase it online ahead of your travel. I don't know how much they will charge.

environmental-badge.co.uk/en/environmental-b…

Edited: 1:38 pm, July 04, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 7
2. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

If you have an EU driving licence you don't need an IDP. If you have a paper licence you can easily exchange it for a photocard here https:/…exchange-paper-driving-licence but you still don't need an IDP.

Kelkheim (Taunus...
3. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Just noticed you are from UK, your driving licence is sufficient, you won't need anything else. I'm driving with my German licence when in UK.

Northampton, United...
4. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Just thought I would let you know of the "official" place to buy:

tuev-nord.de/en/…Order_form_ENGLISH_8761.htm

The other site Quitneedle mentioned seems to be a 3rd party and they seem to charge a massive unnecessary fee.

Kelkheim (Taunus...
5. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Thanks Mark!

I didn't know TÜV sells online :)

Lancashire
6. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Quintneedle, you are saying I don't need to buy an umwelt sticker??? Is this right??

Kelkheim (Taunus...
7. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

You DO NEED an Umweltsticker, you DO NOT NEED an international driving permit!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

> You can buy them at any petrol station in Germany

Apart from a few exceptions only the ones with an attached car repair shop.

You can get a Umweltplakette (environmental badge) also at

- any car registration office (KFZ Zulassungsstelle)

- TÜV and other organisations doing the main vehicle inspections

Easiest is normally to go to a car dealership (with repair shop - but that's the norm) of the brand of your car and get it there (Vauxhall -> Opel).

The Umweltplakette is normally issued for a handling fee of EUR 5-10. What level (color) you'll get depends on your car. But a car younger than 10 years should normally qualify for a level 4 (green) Umweltplakette. The highest level and with this one you can drive into all low emission zones.

http://cruisersblog.de/uploads/plakette.jpg

The Umweltplakette shows the low emission classification of your car. And valid for the lifetime of your car. Nothing Freiburg specific.

This page shows all low emission zones in Europe

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu

So far it's mainly the German ones which have restrictions introduced already for cars. In most countries only lorries/buses are affected.

Lancashire
9. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

Thanks for your help. I will buy one when we get to Germany

Stoke on Trent
reviews: 1
10. Re: Need guidance on umwelt stickers

I'm travelling via Freiburg to Italy in June 2014 and read with interest the replies to the question posted in 2013 plus other info on other websites.

I contacted the hotel I am staying at in Freiburg and they sent me a hyperlink to a website in German - not much use. I then contacted Freiburg town hall who told me I could take my car to various places including the local licensing office. They also sent me a hyperlink to an agency which can issue the car sticker on line - but it was in German. Unless you have money to burn the website mentioned by the first reply to the question (Environmental badge.co.uk) is horrendously expensive at Euro 29.90 for the basic handwritten sticker.

Do as I did. Go onto the Berlin City website (there is a section in English) and apply on line for Euro 6 (including postage). The sticker arrived in 5 days. You need to attach a copy of your vehicle registration doc. page showing the vehicle technical details. I tried to send a scanned copy but the file was too big. I tried compressing the file to a zip folder as the website suggested but to no avail. In the end I took a picture with my digital camera and attached it as a jpg file and it worked. Excellent service from Berlin City.

Reply to: Need guidance on umwelt stickers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted